Help Icing Sagging And Crusting Too Fast

Decorating By cakecrazy09 Updated 15 Feb 2009 , 4:29pm by cakecrazy09

cakecrazy09 Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 4:08pm
post #1 of 2

I can't figure out what is wrong with my icing. I'm working on the sides and get it all smooth on one side and by the time I get to the other side it has started to sink to the bottom and around the top is way too crusted to work with. should I scrape it off and start again? I used the same batch of icing yesterday with no trouble at all.

1 reply
cakecrazy09 Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 4:29pm
post #2 of 2

Never mind... my cake answered my question. I started to smooth the top and the icing cake off in chunks! I scraped it off and the cake is really wet from the icing (i think). I decided to scrape off the icing and start over with a new batch of icing. However, the cake crumbled so now I have to bake another one. Figures this would happen on the most important cake I have done yet. btw I'm using Sam club icing (never again) that I put into smaller tubs to keep it fresh. Any ideas of what might have gone wrong? The only thing I can think of is the icing was stored in an old shortening tub. I have washed the tub multiple times but may that did it. All the other tubs of icing in gladware I used were fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%