Making Icing Red

Decorating By k33bl3r Updated 17 Feb 2009 , 5:19am by Frankyola

k33bl3r Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 3:38am
post #1 of 13

So, I recently bought a small tub of the Wilton decorators icing, and decided to dye some of it red for an anniversary cake I'm working on.

However, after 6 toothpicks worth of the die (both ends, mind you), the icing is more of an orangish pink. I'm using the Wilton color Red. So I'm confused. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong, or do I just need more red?

12 replies
BlakesCakes Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 3:56am
post #2 of 13

You need to be very careful with the red, as too much will make the icing bitter.

You may want to turn the icing a deep pink first, let it sit for awhile so that the color deepens, and then add more red.

If you can go with chocolate icing, you can also add some cocoa powder to turn the icing a medium tan, add the pink, and then add the red.

KrissieCakes Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 4:04am
post #3 of 13

For the bowling cupcakes in my pics, I had to use the whole tub of Wilton no-taste red (for 1/2 a batch of buttercream dream) and they still didn't look as red as I wanted. They did get darker though over night. I read somewhere that people add cherry kool aid to the bc..not sure the specifics on that one though...I think it might have been in a thread on here somewhere.

cakesbykitty Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 5:23pm
post #4 of 13

wilton red is made from a very bitter bean. i now use americolor super red. I have also used a packet or two of cherry Kool-Aid in my icing... super bright red with a cheery flavor kick! you can look at my clown cake to see the color

nickshalfpint Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 5:45pm
post #5 of 13

I made heart cakes on friday and my icing wouldn't get really red. So I added 1 drop of black and it was the most beautiful red color ever!

prterrell Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 6:05pm
post #6 of 13

1. Use Americolor brand instead.
2. You will have to use a LOT of red.
3. Dying it dark pink first will help.
4. Color the night before, colors deepen with time.

nickshalfpint Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 12:50am
post #7 of 13

I only use Americolor too. It's sooooo much better than the wilton stuff.

tiggy2 Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 5:13pm
post #8 of 13

Use chefmaster liqua gel color and you will use very little and get a very bright red instantly.

LittleLinda Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 6:03pm
post #9 of 13

I start dying my red several days in advance. Each day I take it out of the fridge and add a little more red (Wilton's no taste red). The color deepens as time passes. Also, don't dye more than you need. Smaller batches take faster.

DsLady614 Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 11:24pm
post #10 of 13

Three words....

I will never try to use Wilton colors to make dark colors again!

swheatsue Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 11:41pm
post #11 of 13

I agree!!! Americolor is the way to go. I made some deep red icing this weekend using the Americolor Super Red & it was great. Two good hard squirts did it!

sabre Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 12:04am
post #12 of 13

Americolor Soft Liquid Gel Paste or Chefmaster Liquid Paste are both superior products. Fondant/gumpaste colored with Americolor remains bright and true over time, where as fondant colored with Wilton paste fades dramatically.

Frankyola Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 5:19am
post #13 of 13
Originally Posted by prterrell

1. Use Americolor brand instead.
2. You will have to use a LOT of red.
3. Dying it dark pink first will help.
4. Color the night before, colors deepen with time.

If you see my galery the Lightning Mcqueen car I did the same as prterrell to achieve that read but I also add a little burgundy wilton paste.

For the icing and butter cream I do the same.

I only use 1 1/2 little Americolor little bottles (super red) thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%