Sps System, With Fondant Covered Cake???

Decorating By ranbel Updated 15 Feb 2009 , 5:57pm by sugarwishes

ranbel Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 3:09am
post #1 of 6

I am in the process of purchasing the SPS system for a 4 tiered cake I have coming up soon.
My question is: If covering a cake with fondant, will the plate show if you use a 8in plate with a 8in cake? I can see it not showing with the cake iced with b/c, because I do ice my cakes to the edge of the cardboard circles.
For those that use this system with fondant, how exactly do you make sure the plate doesn't show??

I hope you can understand my question, it's kinda hard to write down what I am trying to visualize.

Thanks,

5 replies
sayhellojana Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 3:21am
post #2 of 6

Use just as much BC as you normally would underneath the fondant.

-K8memphis Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 3:26am
post #3 of 6

An idea is to use a 6 or 7 inch plate and set the cake on it's own 7 3/4 inch board so there's no worries.

sugarwishes Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 3:44am
post #4 of 6

i just did a 4 tier baby shower cake usng sps w/fondant cakes. i didn't have a problem with the plates showing. and i used the same plate size as the cake size..

ranbel Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 2:06pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks for the info.

Sugar wishes: I looked at your beautiful baby shower cake and my question is:
the pillars that are showing between each tier, can they be cut down to where the cakes sit directly on top of one another?

Thanks

sugarwishes Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 5:57pm
post #6 of 6

Yes they can. My brother cut the ones in that cake for me but didn't measure them correctly (they weren't supposed to show) but I ran out of time so just left it. The pillars I used were originally 7" , he used a mini saw to cut each one.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%