Cookie Platter/giftbox Prices?

Baking By kellertur Updated 16 Feb 2009 , 10:04pm by cylstrial

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 2:26am
post #1 of 15

Hello,

I've been dropping off cake samples to different businesses and have been asked if I do cookies, which I do, but I'm not sure how to price them. Keep in mind my business isn't even a year old yet... icon_rolleyes.gif

What is a reasonable price to ask for a cookie platter? I'd really appreciate specific price differences between decorated cookies and standards like chocolate chip, oatmeal platters.

I also plan to do assortment platters, and even some gourmet style dipped in chocolate, etc. What do you charge?

Thank you very much. icon_smile.gif

14 replies
kellertur Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 6:05pm
post #2 of 15

((( Hello ))) icon_smile.gif

Can anyone give me a ballpark figure for pricing cookie trays for businesses, etc? Mostly non-decorative, but I'd love any price range you can offer. Please?

Thanks. icon_smile.gif

yankeegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yankeegal Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 11:37pm
post #3 of 15

Kristi,
I only do decorated cookies-sell by the dozen-anywhere between $25-$35 a dozen.
Maybe if you check local bakeries, gourmet shops to see what they price their cookies at? May give you a price range.
Sorry I couldn't be more help.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 11:59pm
post #4 of 15

Wish I could be of more help!

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 12:10am
post #5 of 15

Well, I dont sell cookies or anything, but as a consumer I can say that the absolute max I would pay for a chocolate chip cookie is $1.25 and that better be a big cookie. Decorated cookies, I would understand much more than that. So, my advice is to price undecorated cookies (like oatmeal and choc.chip) by ingredients and price decorated cookies by time. HTH

kellertur Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 2:53am
post #6 of 15

THANK YOU very much!!! icon_smile.gif

This made me feel better, because I wanted to sell them for around
$10 - 12.00/dozen (non-decorative, maybe dipped in chocolate to make them a bit fancier). One of the local Yoga places asked me what I charge for cookie platters and I really didn't know what to say. I've only sold decorative cookies, and that's few and far between. They are usually gifts.

Have a great week. icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 4:08am
post #7 of 15

My pricing is on the "banna's" website (link below). I don't have platter-pricing, but if they want 2 doz or 3 doz, then I just price accordingly.

HeidiCrumbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeidiCrumbs Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 2:46pm
post #8 of 15

I'm just starting too!

As for prices for platters, I think that regular cookies, (choc chip, oatmeal, Snickerdoodles) should be based on size, like mini cookies vs jumbo cookies should be priced different. Maybe $5 for mini's and $12+ for jumbo per dozen.

Frosted cut-outs should be no less than $1.50 a piece and even that is way low. I know in WI I'm not going to be able to charge the same prices as a NJ or CA bakery would becuase my market won't allow it, but I'm still going to charge enough to get my time out of it.

I hope we're helping a bit but it so much depends on where you live and what exactly you offer. I know that in my "favorites" folder I have about 40 bakeries from around the US and I am always looking at their prices to see what is comparable.

Good luck!

ChristieFinkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristieFinkle Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 5:08pm
post #9 of 15

Hi! I had a hard time with this at Christmas, so I called around to some local bakeries and my local grocery store and priced not as high as the high end store, but well above the grocery store! It did pretty well. The high end store was 12.00 per dozen and the grocery store was 6, so I went in at 9.00! I felt comfortable with that! As a side note, there was someone advertising in my area for about 10 doz cookies for 20.00! What would those taste like?
Good luck with everything!
Christie thumbs_up.gif

devorie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
devorie Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 5:51pm
post #10 of 15

You may also want to take into account the amount of work that goes into the cookie. Choc chip and oatmeal cookies are fairly quick and easy. Something like snickerdoodles are a bit more labor intensive with the rolling and dipping and you may want to adjust your prices accordingly. HTH

kellertur Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 6:17pm
post #11 of 15

Oh, I love making snickerdoodles - something about that adorable name!!! You are right though, price according to time spent, etc. Great idea.

You are all very helpful. I called around the the dreaded "W" and I can't compete with their prices, so I'm not going to. I think the price range you have all given is where I'd be confortable at.

Have a great week everyone!! icon_smile.gif

Brownie1954 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brownie1954 Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 6:17pm
post #12 of 15

Hello...This is my first time on a forum, so I hope this goes through! I own a small cake and chocolate business here in Dayton Ohio.
My suggestion for pricing your cookies, would be to start with the price of your ingredients (obviously flour, eggs, etc.) What did you pay for each ingredient? How much of each ingredient does it take to get a batch? How many batches from all the ingredients you purchased? How many dozen do you get from a batch? The same goes with the icing. How much time do you have your oven (s) running (it's costing you electric or gas!) How much do you charge per hour (you do need to get paid!) Get an answer from that, and it should give you an idea of what to charge. It doesn't hurt at all to check with bakeries/stores in your area on what they charge, but just keep in mind that their cost, and ultimately what they charge will be different from yours, for many different reasons.

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 9:44pm
post #13 of 15

i'm struggling with this too-i have an opportunity to sell to a new store (clothing ironically) very eclectic and vintage. anyway, when she asked how much i would charge her (i do know that she would up the price) i said i'm not sure as i sell to customers at one price but to her i would charge something else as she would become an ongoing client(does that make sense?) anyway, she's friendly and also owns a cafe and has more experience with that and we came to an agreement of $1.75 per cookie with her logo on it. i'm so excited and if it goes well i may approach other stores too (please remember that i am in ontario if that price seems low)

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 9:45pm
post #14 of 15

ps-hello to you brownie, nice to hear from you icon_smile.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 10:04pm
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellesArt

i'm struggling with this too-i have an opportunity to sell to a new store (clothing ironically) very eclectic and vintage. anyway, when she asked how much i would charge her (i do know that she would up the price) i said i'm not sure as i sell to customers at one price but to her i would charge something else as she would become an ongoing client(does that make sense?) anyway, she's friendly and also owns a cafe and has more experience with that and we came to an agreement of $1.75 per cookie with her logo on it. i'm so excited and if it goes well i may approach other stores too (please remember that i am in ontario if that price seems low)

That's awesome!! Congrats!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%