In Need Of A Good Tasting Crusting Buttercream But Not Wilto

Decorating By aprilcake Updated 16 Feb 2009 , 8:22am by ThreeDGirlie

aprilcake Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 12:38am
post #1 of 18

I am in need of a good tasting buttercream! I learned Wilton's through my class last year but I do not like the taste, however I love how it crusts so that I can smooth it over! I found a buttercream I love but I cannot get it smooth so I am needing to find one that i LOVE and that i can get smooth!

HELP PLEASE!

17 replies
indydebi Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 12:41am
post #2 of 18
aprilcake Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 12:55am
post #3 of 18

oh thanks indydebi ... question ... what is dream whip? where can I get it? does this icing tastes similar to wilton or anything else or is it a taste all-itself? is it more whippy tasting or rich tasting?

indydebi Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 1:19am
post #4 of 18

http://agrocery.com/sauces-syrups-and-creams

Here's a pic of the box. You can usually find it in walmart, aisle 8, top shelf, above the marshmellows, next to the jello. The large box in walmart is 4 envelopes for slightly under $4/box. You can get between 2-3 batches of icing from one envelope (I think ... it's been awhile since I made a small batch of icing).

Some say it's tastes like whipped cream icing. Some say it's not as sweet as regular buttercream icing. All I know is that it's worked for me for 30 years and I'm not changing anything about it! thumbs_up.gif It crusts well and I've never had a cake melt-down ... not even at an August outdoor wedding in 90+ degree heat.

aprilcake Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 1:23am
post #5 of 18

im going to try it this coming week! Thanks! i will look for that dream whip!

m1m Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 1:33am
post #6 of 18

Indydebi,

Have you ever tried half shortening, half butter in the recipe?

I'm eager to try it; it sounds great! icon_smile.gif

indydebi Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 1:39am
post #7 of 18

I haven't tried the 1/2 butter-shortening but some CC'ers have and have reported good result

m1m Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 1:40am
post #8 of 18

Thanks Indydebi,

I'm definitely going to try your recipe!

funbun Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 1:51am
post #9 of 18

I use to think I had a great buttercream recipe. Everyone gave it high praise and then I did a blind taste test and the panel raved about Indydebi!!!!!!! It is awesome! And super easy to make...I bow to Indydebi yet again!!! icon_biggrin.gif

icer101 Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 1:55am
post #10 of 18

the wilton recipe , with the crisco and butter; tastes great. i use whipping cream instead of water or milk.. i was introduced to this about 7 years ago, when i took a refresher course with this lady that owned a great shop here.. i don,t use meringue powder and it crust and smoothes great.. i use salt also and the unsweeten real butter... if i use salted real butter..then i leave out the salt... its just really great tasting... you will see lots of recipes on here, using the same thing.

IcedTea4Me2 Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 2:05am
post #11 of 18

I use Indydebi's buttercream and get good results. It crusts wonderfully. It's very easy to get smooth. To me it's not as sweet as most other buttercreams. I tried another recipe a couple of months ago and couldn't stand how sweet it was and I was amazed because I have a huge sweet tooth.

Lisa

indydebi Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 2:06am
post #12 of 18

that whipping cream idea sounds pretty good! I'm going to give it a try!

Davina_Alloway Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 2:12am
post #13 of 18

I think I'm going to try your icing Indydebi - TFS

brandywinecakes Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 2:23am
post #14 of 18

I've also been looking for a recipe that is not so sweet, but yet it will crust. I LOVE the whipped cream buttercream but it doesn't crust very well and it's a very soft icing. I would love to learn about what you find. Please post a reply if you find what you are looking for. icon_smile.gif

gerripje Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 7:13am
post #15 of 18

I like Indydebi's icing a whole bunch, but I also really like Serious_cakes recipe too. It tastes really, really good and uses more butter than shortening. The more I work with it the easier it's becoming to smooth and make it! HTH!!icon_smile.gif

lostincake Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 7:43am
post #16 of 18

I've only ever used Buttercream Dream (http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2123-Buttercream-Dream.html) and find it very good. It crusts well and does not have an overly sweet taste and is simple to make.

After seeing other raves about indydebi's in this and other posts, and seeing how easy it seems to make, I think I'll give it a shot for my cakes next week.

lostincake Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 7:43am
post #17 of 18
ThreeDGirlie Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 8:22am
post #18 of 18

There's something about the Dream Whip that just gives indydebi's recipe that awesome flavor. I usually make that recipe with half butter, and it is awesome!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%