How To Apply An Edible Image?

Decorating By Getus Updated 15 Feb 2009 , 6:40pm by cakesbykitty

Getus Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 9:11pm
post #1 of 10

Newbie here...
A friend has asked me to make a cake, using an edible image made from a photo.
I will have to go to the local Wally World to get the photo made into the edible image. How do I apply the edible image to the cake?
I did a search, but I have extremely slow dial up, so after 30 mins, gave up. icon_cry.gif
TIA!

9 replies
ladybug76 Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 9:19pm
post #2 of 10

Hi Getus!! Welcome to CC!!
I was only able to find one forum on how to apply edible images.....

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-593862-0-days0-orderasc-.html

Hope this helps you out!!
~Jaime

prterrell Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 12:23am
post #3 of 10

It is super easy to apply an edible image. You carefully peel the image off of the baking paper and then lay it down on the buttercream (before it has crusted if you are using crusting buttercream). The side that was stuck to the baking paper is the side that sticks to the cake.That's all there is to it it!

Getus Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 1:07am
post #4 of 10

Sounds easy enough! Thanks, guys! icon_wink.gif

dogluvr Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 2:11am
post #5 of 10

I found sometimes while peeling the backing off, it may crack so I slide my spatula underneath the image to loosen from the backing paper and it works wonders......

Arriva Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 2:37am
post #6 of 10

I've discovered that the image slides off the backing if you will put it in the freezer for about 20 seconds. I was having trouble getting an image off the backing one day and thought I would try putting it in the freezer. It literally slid off the backing while I was taking it out of the freezer. Handle it carefully.

dogluvr Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 2:56pm
post #7 of 10

the freezer....thats good to know......thanks for the tip

cakesbykitty Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 5:17pm
post #8 of 10

i am new to ei also... i use a crusting buttercream and the Melvira rolling method... so how do i get an ei to disolve in after it crusts? tried a spray bottle... just stuck, didn't dissolve.

prterrell Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 6:07pm
post #9 of 10

They don't dissolve. All they do is stick to the icing. If you need your BC to crust before you apply the IE, you can add just a tiny bit of piping gel over the BC where you want the image to go.

cakesbykitty Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 6:40pm
post #10 of 10

well, that's good to know! LOL, i totally thought i was doing something wrong, kept checking back to see if it "dissolved" into the icing yet. Somewhere, someone told me it did that. Sheesh.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%