Decorating By Getus Updated 15 Feb 2009 , 12:25am by prterrell

Getus Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 6:22pm
post #1 of 6

I am attempting my first batch of IMBC. I am at the latest stage of mixing...after putting the butter in. How long before this resembles real icing? It is simply looking like runny whip cream at this point. Do I keep on mixing or have I failed? icon_cry.gif

5 replies
didi5 Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 6:46pm
post #2 of 6

Don't stress! The IMBC look curdled at one point when making it especially after the addition of butter. Just let it whip until smooth. If the butter was too soft, it can appear rather soupy. Just place the bowl in the fridge to cool a bit but don't leave it too long or else it will harden up. Beat again until smooth. Good luck and keep us updated.

LeanneW Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 6:56pm
post #3 of 6

if you have chilled it a bit and mixed it a bunch and it still won't come together you can scoop out 25% of the batch and microwave it until it's runny then incorporate that into the other 75%. you'll lose a bit of volume but at least you won't lose the whole batch.

Getus Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 7:50pm
post #4 of 6

Okay, I ended up microwaving 1/4th and putting it back in and whipping, whipping, whipping. It did smooth up and get really nice.
Now, my next question...can I keep this in the frig? If so, do I need to do anything to it before icing a cake with it? Or, do I need to keep it on the counter and not in the frig?
Sorry for so many questions...but this IMBC is totally foreign to me...I am SO used to pd sugar buttercreams.
BTW...thanks, ladies for your quick help! I truly do appreciate it!
another DH tasted a spoonful of this IMBC and said "oh my, this would be really good on a cake!". thumbs_up.gif

didi5 Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 8:19pm
post #5 of 6

Sorry for so many questions...but this IMBC is totally foreign to me...

Hey, this is what this forums are for icon_biggrin.gif

If you put it in the fridge, it will harden up like butter. I always make my frosting just before covering the cake. But if ever I need to make it in advance, I freeze it then when I need it I leave it in the fridge overnight.Then in the morning I leave it on the counter til it's room temperature. If I need it quick I zap it in the microwave for a few seconds, whip it with the rubber spatula, zap again for a few seconds, whip again...I go on like this till it gets smooth.

Personally I don't like to leave it outside the fridge overnight because of the egg content. But I have read in the Cake Bible and some other sources that you can leave it out up to a couple of days. Maybe someone can vouch for this, but it's up to your discretion.

prterrell Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 12:25am
post #6 of 6

It is perfectly safe to leave out a room temp. The eggs are cooked when you add in the sugar. The high sugar content makes this a stable icing and safe to leave on the counter (although not indefinitely).

Quote by @%username% on %date%