Hating Roses

Decorating By Danielle1218 Updated 21 Feb 2009 , 8:26pm by superstar

Danielle1218 Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 5:11pm
post #1 of 18

Does anyone out there hate making roses as much as I do?? I have been decorating for 3 years and I HATE THEM. I really cringe when people ask for them on a cake. UGH!!

17 replies
bobwonderbuns Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 5:16pm
post #2 of 18

Yep, hate 'em, hate 'em, hate 'em!! icon_biggrin.gif

kkitchen Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 5:22pm
post #3 of 18

What type of roses? Buttercream or gumpaste? I like making BC roses, but I had a very hard time doing gumpaste ones. This week I spent some time in my garden looking at the way my roses grow and tried to do one looking like one out the tree. This is what I did..... I would say be very patient.....

michellesArt Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 5:41pm
post #4 of 18

holy moly!! that looks like you just plucked it out of your garden!! i'm drooling in jealousy lol

Chippi Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 5:49pm
post #5 of 18
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Yep, hate 'em, hate 'em, hate 'em!! icon_biggrin.gif

That is absolutley gorgeous Trina!

londonpeach Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 5:54pm
post #6 of 18

I don't mind making them but would rather not, I'm making my friends wedding cake in April and she wants roses made from flowerpaste (not sure if thats the same as your gumpaste)

I've worked out that the cake will need about 25 full roses all burgandy (which is a horrible colour to work with, I think so anyway icon_wink.gif ) and i'll have to make a few spare just in case any get broken.

I've made the cones and will get started on the roses soon so i'm not doing them all at the last minute icon_wink.gif

indydebi Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 6:08pm
post #7 of 18

I luv them! I think they are top on the list of cadillac decorating skills. I'd much rather do a cake with BC roses than real or silk roses.

My very first wedding cake was taking place in a rose garden and she wanted the cake COVERED in BC roses. I had never made one before in my life, but by the time I was done with that cake, I considered myself an expert! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I think that's why I luv them ..... mine was learned "by fire" ... jump in and swim and there AIN'T no time for a swimming lesson!

I recently learned the make-them-on-a-stick method and that is even easier!

Cathy26 Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 6:50pm
post #8 of 18

that rose is perfect! i can never get the gumpaste that thin so mine never look like that icon_sad.gif

Ballymena Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 7:42pm
post #9 of 18

I can do good roses because I teach classes and have to but I did go through some struggles, especially icing consistency which is VERY important. The Wilton ready made buttercream is perfect for roses so if icing may be a problem get a can of theirs just tp practice and also to compare consistency. Whip it up before you use it. I find in my classes that consistency is the biggest challenge.
Have a look at this decorator on Youtube. She must work in a bakery to get that good. I have started doing my roses like this now and love it much better than the nail method.

Danielle1218 Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 5:01pm
post #10 of 18

OMG....that lady just did that cake in under 4 minutes. I couldn't believe how fast she did the border. Next time I have to do roses, I think I will try that dowel method.

mbt4955 Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 5:09pm
post #11 of 18

I have never mastered buttercream flowers, so it is gumpaste or fresh on my cakes!

londonpeach, are you coloring your flowerpaste before you use it or are you using petal dust afterward? If you dust and steam the flowers, you can get beautiful deep colors without much effort.

londonpeach Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 5:40pm
post #12 of 18

I am colouring the flowerpaste icon_surprised.gif I will try the steam method another time, i've shown my friend the finished rose so I don't want to change it now and im used to my way icon_wink.gif

When you say you dust them after...do you just use white paste then dust the colour you want then steam..don't they go soft icon_rolleyes.gif
Does the dust colour not go onto the white cake... icon_rolleyes.gif just thought, it probably doesn't as i do use dust colours on flowers sometimes.

Monkess Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 6:37pm
post #13 of 18

TrinaR-that is lovely! Good jobicon_smile.gif
I love doing roses, alas, most of my customers dont request them and my cakes tend to me mostly fruit based or for kids!!!

superstar Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 11:41pm
post #14 of 18

I love making roses or any flower with gumpaste/flowerpaste, I do color my paste but I also dust with dusts & steam them for a few seconds. On page 2 in my photo's there are a few sprays of roses. The secret to making good flowers or leaves is to roll the paste very thin & use a ball tool to thin the petals & give them shape. I have never made BC roses, but I have made RI ones.

mbt4955 Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 12:56am
post #15 of 18

superstar, your flowers are simply gorgeous. I have taught myself what I know about gumpaste flowers, but haven't ever had any instruction. I am taking Nicholas Lodge's Tropical Flowers class in Austin ... in NINE DAYS and I am very excited. I would be thrilled if I could make flowers that are half as pretty as yours are! thumbs_up.gif

fknj Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 1:17am
post #16 of 18

OMG! Is that You Tube video on fastforward? I have got to try that dowel method!

Davina_Alloway Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 1:26am
post #17 of 18

I have to be honest... I haven't made them since my Wilton class.... like 5 years ago icon_surprised.gif I did need them in a pinch and didn't have time to wait for them to set up so I ran to my local cake craft store and bought theirs.... I know, I know, SHAMEFUL! icon_redface.gif

superstar Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 8:26pm
post #18 of 18

mbt4955, thank you for those lovely comments. You are very fortunate to be doing a class with Nick Lodge, he is one of the best. My idol for anything floral is Alan Dunn, I have all his books & follow his instructions, the only lessons I have ever had were from my sister, she in turn had never had lessons. Let us know all about your classes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%