Peanut Free Cake?

Baking By mom2my3girlz Updated 14 Feb 2009 , 7:52pm by -K8memphis

mom2my3girlz Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 5:11pm
post #1 of 8

I have to make a 3 tier (mini) cake for 30 people. One of the quest have peanut allergies. How can I make a peanut free cake. I am planning on using boxed cake mix, bettercream icing and MMF. How can I make a peanut free cake?

7 replies
Peachshortcake Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 5:53pm
post #2 of 8

Look and see if there are any box mixes that are certifed to be peanut free. A lot of companies are now doing that due to the increase of peanut allergies out there. Use butter for your buttercream, so that there is no risk of peanut oil being in the margerine/shortening.
Another thing to do is speak to the customer about what brands of food they use. They will have a good insight on to what is ok for them to eat with out the risk of triggering their allergies.

SimplySensational Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 6:47pm
post #3 of 8

I am allergic to peanuts/tree nuts/nut oils. I use boxed mixes from Betty Crocker, Duncan Hines, and Pillsbury and have never had a problem. If they are even procesed in the same plant as one that does nuts they have to disclose this info to you. I agree that most companies are starting to have "clean" portions of their plants that are seperated from those that do use nut products. I also do all butter for my BC. Good Luck.

-K8memphis Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 6:49pm
post #4 of 8

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-618595.html

There's ^^^ a previous thread on the subject.

I once even told a peanut allergy mom that I would make peanut butter cookies on purpose just to avoid these aggressive peanut parents. She hated me for that but I win.

I mean I don't know how to cook peanut free and I'm thankful I don't have to find out.

Good Luck to you.

SimplySensational Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 6:59pm
post #5 of 8

I might have taken the previous comment wrong but to tell a potential customer that you make peanut butter cookies just to avoid those with allergies seems a little harsh. Can't you just say that unfortunatly your kitchens does have nuts involved in your baking so you won't be able to guarantee a nut free product.

Being someone with very severe nut allergies....the slightest amount could kill me. If someone says they can't accomodate that is fine and I move on. I have had to leave resturants after being seated because they cook in peanut oil. It is nothing against the person/resturant but I don't want to die.

I have had to turn away even good friends in making their cakes because they request almond or some other nut be incorporated into the cake and I can't be around it. They aren't offended but totally understand.

Just my opionion but I think that if this was something that you had to live with every day you might see the seriousness of the request differently.

-K8memphis Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 7:08pm
post #6 of 8

I tend to agree with you however it was necessary because the peanut allergy mom was big time pushy, micro managing my baking, trying to anyway.
I have a nicer post in the link I provided.
I kinda just added this as a ps to my former posts in the other link.

And because I think I understand how important it is, is why I had to say that--she was totally taking my temperature about nuts and wanting me to bake for her.

I was not comfortable with that. She was pronouncing me nut free and so I said, then I will bake some peanut butter cookies to keep in my store to avoid this nit picking and trying to make me do something I don't want to be involved in because someone could get sick and/or die.

In the other thread I said no offense to anyone and I repeat that here.

I do not want to be involved in any kind of epi pen potential events.

SimplySensational Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 7:14pm
post #7 of 8

I am sure that I am going to run across my share of pushy people who get irritated that I won't do anything with nuts. icon_lol.gif I had to teach my daughter at 5 (she is now 9) what to do with the epi-pen if something ever happened. She was shocked but now proudly proclaims that we don't do nuts. It is hilarious. Too bad we don't live closer. You could send me your nut free people and I'd send you my nut people.

-K8memphis Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 7:52pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySensational

I am sure that I am going to run across my share of pushy people who get irritated that I won't do anything with nuts. icon_lol.gif I had to teach my daughter at 5 (she is now 9) what to do with the epi-pen if something ever happened. She was shocked but now proudly proclaims that we don't do nuts. It is hilarious. Too bad we don't live closer. You could send me your nut free people and I'd send you my nut people.

What a little sweetie you have.

Hey we can meet half way--Denver Colorado give or take a few--we'll send all the nutjobs there!!! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%