My Choc Cakes Are A Tad Dry....

Decorating By Getus Updated 14 Feb 2009 , 8:54pm by indydebi

Getus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Getus Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 5:01pm
post #1 of 9

It seems as though my chocolate cakes are a tad dry...not bad...but not as moist as I'd like them to be.
Here is my recipe: based off of the WASC cake recipe on this site:

2 boxes DH dark chocolate cake mix
2 cups all purpose flour
2 cups sugar
6 whole eggs
2 2/3 cups brewed and cooled coffee (in place of the water)
4 Tblsp canola oil
2 cups sour cream
2 tsp vanilla
2 tsp Lorann choc flavoring
Mix dry ingreds with whisk. Add remaining ingreds. Beat on low for 2 mins. Bake 325.

Should I be taking the cakes out when there are still a few crumbs sticking to the tester? I am currently taking them out when the tester comes out clean. I let them cool on rack about 5 mins, turn onto Glad Press and Seal, wrap, then wrap in Saran Wrap, then foil. Immediately into the freezer.
When I'm ready to decorate...I take out of the freezer, take off foil, and allow cake to thaw still wrapped in the saran and press n seal. Take those off when completely thawed and allow to sit for about 20 more mins to dry condensation caused from the plastic wraps.
I crumb coat and allow to set until well crusted. Then, I frost and decorate. I frost and decorate the day before serving.

Okay...so advice and/or tips are welcome. I just feel that I should be able to achieve the super moist cakes from my chocolate ones that I do with the white and/or yellow ones.

icon_rolleyes.gif

8 replies
Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 6:19pm
post #2 of 9

My guess is you are baking too long. Do a test cake before you have to do one for someone else, make 2 layers and take them out at different times.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 6:21pm
post #3 of 9

are you using baking strips around the pans? are you lowering the temp a bit (directions say 350 ... i bake at 325 or even 300).

Getus Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 6:45pm
post #4 of 9

I'm sorry...I failed to list the baking details...yes, I do use baking strips. I cook at 325. I am baking in an 11 x 15 half sheet pan.

zoomzone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoomzone Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 6:58pm
post #5 of 9

Yep- I would agree- it sounds like they are overbaked? Try a test as recommended.

sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_teeth Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 6:58pm
post #6 of 9

Add a tad bit more oil.. i always feel chocolate cakes need more oil to be moist.

Also, if you are interested in a scratch chocolate cake (I don't like chocolate wasc.. no matter how much extra cocoa i put in it.. ) so i use this recipe:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Double-Chocolate-Layer-Cake-101275

The only problem i've ever had with it was it being too moist! Its super yummy.. I promise.

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 7:08pm
post #7 of 9

I'm with alexandrabill. The only chocolate cake I make is the Double Chocolate Layer Cake on Epicurious.com. I have never had it turn out dry and one recipe makes two 10" layers or a 12" square.

Getus Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 8:06pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks so much everyone, for your prompt replies! I will give the scratch recipe a try....and when I am in a huge crunch for time and ingreds, and using the wasc version...I will take the cake out sooner.
Thanks again for all your help! icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 8:54pm
post #9 of 9

The scratch cake on the Hershey Cocoa pan is really moist, too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%