Messed Up Cake Baking-Need Ideas Please

Decorating By SecretAgentCakeBaker Updated 16 Feb 2009 , 3:56pm by SecretAgentCakeBaker

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 4:09pm
post #1 of 5

OK, this isn't a disaster, but I wasn't sure where else to post it.

I need some ideas/help please. I'm tired and made a lot of little mistakes. I just made a full recipe WASC (the 2 boxes of mix).

1. I was intending on using lemon extract instead of the almond, because I wanted to make the filling raspberry to have a lemon/raspberry cake. It's for my aunt's birthday and her favorite flavor is raspberry. Do you think the raspberry filling will taste odd in the almond flavored cake? If so, any ideas for another flavor?

2. The cake is going to be a penguin theme, with an igloo. I had a custard cup set out next to the cake pan, to put some batter in to make the igloo. Well, I forgot to do that. The two cakes that are in the oven now will need to be trimmed. Can I use the scraps to somehow make the igloo? Like maybe make a giant cake ball or something? I don't want to do it enirely in fondant because I think that will be too heavy to go on the cake.

3. I'm just annoyed at myself here. I am also baking in the wondermold pan. In my pre-Cake Central days when I used this pan, I have just used the straight box cake mix. It never overflowed. So today I am using the WASC and wasn't sure how much batter to put in. I put it to about 2 inches below the top. Well, it rose up so high that it covered over the top of the heating rod and went inside the rod. I used my cake tester to uncover it. It's going to be some job getting it cleaned out though. Luckily the cake did not overflow the pan. Hopefully, the timer is ringing so I have to go check it again. icon_redface.gif

Thanks for the advice and for listening!

4 replies
jguilbeau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jguilbeau Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 4:20pm
post #2 of 5

1. The raspberry filling will taste great with the WASC.
2. I would think make a giant cake ball would work.

Relax, your cake will be fine.

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 4:38pm
post #3 of 5

1. I haven't found a filling yet that doesn't go with WASC. I think that the taste of the WASC is generic enough that the raspberry filling will be complementary.

2. Because cake balls are quite dense, it seems as though a large cake ball may be too heavy, unless you support it properly. Maybe try using RKT instead. Here is a great thread explaining how to use it:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=6246533#6246533

3. The same thing happened to me the first time I used WASC in the Wonder Mold pan! Nothing hot water and soap didn't clean up in no time. Next time try brushing a coating of Cake Release on everything. That usually does the trick!

HTH! Good luck!

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 4:49pm
post #4 of 5

It's a good thing that your cake is crowning in the pan. Cut it off level and use the cake crown to fashion your igloo. That'll be tastier than a cake ball, and not as heavy. You can just piece it together with icing.

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 3:56pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks everyone! Well, I baked the two cakes in the oven together. The center of the wondermold cake didn't completely bake and the edges are dark brown. The sheet cake had very brown edges as well and appeared to be dry when I torted it. I even lowered the temp in the oven half way through when I saw they were getting too dark. Oh well, now I know not to bake anything else with hat wondermold pan again.

I decided to make the igloo out of MMF at midnight the night. It was ok, messy, but I sprinkled powdered sugar mixed with pearl dust to simulate snow, and that hid the cracks and other issues.

This is only the second time I have used Indydebi's icing. It's been a learning curve for me. It seemed too dry and cracked when I tried to use the Melvira/paint roller method to smooth it. I would like to keep using it as everyone realy likes the flavor. I was using the Sugarshack recipe, which everyone also liked, but it was too greasy for me.

I finished the cake and took it to our dinner. Actually, everyone loved it, and it didn't seem dry at all. Maybe it absorbed some of the liquid from the icing. I don't know.

Sorry, rambling here! Thanks again!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%