Using Gelatin To Make Fairy Wings

Decorating By Babyicebean Updated 26 Mar 2011 , 10:46pm by milkmaid42

Babyicebean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babyicebean Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 2:03pm
post #1 of 7

Any idea how?

My eldest wants a fairy cake and I want to make the wings from something that looks like glass.Using a boiled sweet as stained glass will make them too heavy and I can't get it right that way.

Any ideas as to how to make it from gelatin?

6 replies
dogluvr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dogluvr Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 2:28am
post #2 of 7

Here is the recipe I have...you can use 1 TBSP unflavored gelatin and 2 1/2 TBSP cool water....mix the water and gelatin and let set for 3-5 min. Microwave about 10-20 seconds until the gelatin is a clear liquid. Paint this liquid onto impression molds (I have plastic sheets with molds of butterflies and flowers)...you can probably make them on vellum...Let dry until the gelatin pops off the molds ...about 4-6 hrs. The gelatin will become a thin crisp sheet that can be cut with small scissors. To paint the dry gelatin use a palette tray and mis small amounts of gin or vodka with either airbrush color or powder color. Use piping gel on the edges of wings and dip into disco dust for accents.........

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 2:44am
post #3 of 7

I use a similar technique in making my gelatin butterflies (see my pix.) The nice thing about them is that you can trim them with scissors to get any shape you want! icon_biggrin.gif

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 2:59am
post #4 of 7

Oooh, glad to know. If we don't have a mold, is vellum like parchment or cellophane or is it something totally different?

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 4:52pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelion56602

Oooh, glad to know. If we don't have a mold, is vellum like parchment or cellophane or is it something totally different?

I'm not sure the difference between vellum and parchment but if you have a plastic impression mat, you can paint the gelatin mixture on that and just cut out the shape of the wings after it's dry. Don't freak if you see it curling up from the impression mat though, that's normal and won't affect the finished wings (they won't be curled.)

vandersar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vandersar Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 10:16am
post #6 of 7

I don't know if this is what you are looking for but they have a really nice fairy wings that is free at http://www.halloweencostumesale.com havent used it yet but I am hoping you just love these stuff.. Hope this helps.

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 10:46pm
post #7 of 7

I just paint the gelatin on a sheet of acetate. When it dries and releases from the sheet, I cut with a pair of scissors and vein with a fine food marker. You can see a dragonfly I made with the gelatin in my photos.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%