How Much Chocolate Glaze Will I Need?

Decorating By BakingGirl Updated 14 Feb 2009 , 2:50pm by BakingGirl

BakingGirl Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 1:26pm
post #1 of 3

I have made two 9" heart shaped truffle cakes which I want to cover in a chocolate glaze. The cakes are about 1 1/2" tall each. The recipe does not say how much I need for each cake, so I am unsure how much to make. The chocolate glaze recipe is large, it involves 3lb chocolate, 1 quart cream, 2 1/2 sticks of butter and 1/2 cup corn syrup.

I don't want to make the full recipe if I don't need it since it is expensive ingredients. Do anybody have any idea of how many cups of glaze I will need?

2 replies
mbt4955 Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 2:20pm
post #2 of 3

I wish I could help, but I always end up with a lot more than I need. That is a huge recipe. The most I have made at one times was 1 lb of chocolate, so I would cut yours in half, if not 75%. It is really easy to make, so you could always do a quarter recipe and see if that is enough.

I use the ganache recipe from Epicurious.com's Double Chocolate Layer Cake. Maybe you can adjust your recipe by looking at this one. This recipe comes with a 2-layer 10" cake and is plenty for filling and covering.

HTH - Martha

For ganache frosting

* 1 pound fine-quality semisweet chocolate such as Callebaut
* 1 cup heavy cream
* 2 tablespoons sugar
* 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
* 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter

Finely chop chocolate. In a 1 1/2- to 2-quart saucepan bring cream, sugar, and corn syrup to a boil over moderately low heat, whisking until sugar is dissolved. Remove pan from heat and add chocolate, whisking until chocolate is melted. Cut butter into pieces and add to frosting, whisking until smooth.

Transfer frosting to a bowl and cool, stirring occasionally, until spreadable (depending on chocolate used, it may be necessary to chill frosting to spreadable consistency).

BakingGirl Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 2:50pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks Martha, that sounds like a sensible idea to start small. I always make too much of everything because I hate running out, but my freezer is full of left-over BC, fillings and other cake stuff.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%