Ace Of Cakes Vent

Decorating By calitexan Updated 18 Feb 2009 , 3:18am by mjballinger

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 9:26pm
post #31 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlynnw

what about the shorts and sandals? What HD would OK that? The show is amazing and fun but it is not all about the cake or dummies - alot about the techniques. Like the zoo showpieces they do - they are great but they need to last for display and it all about marketing. People pay to see Duff and crew and his work. Does anyone know of a famous celebrity architech with their own show? It is all about money. Always has been and always will be.

Of course it's about the money .... all of us who are in business do it for the money. Otherwise, we'd just do it from our home, for free, as a hobbyist.

I'll say it again .... whether you like what they call the styro-cakes or not, Duff is laughing all the way to the bank .... and I am looking forward to the day when I can laugh as long and loud as he does!!! Go, Duff!!

(And I STILL want to see more camera time on Mary and her fondant masterpiece creations!!)

PieceofCakeAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PieceofCakeAZ Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 12:16am
post #32 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by adven68

My question, is why would Macy's, a NYC landmark, not choose a cake decorator from NYC?

By getting their cake from Duff, they got a 20 minute Macy's commercial on the Food Network for a couple grand. How many of us knew about the 150th Anniversary until that show? Not me. Any company/movie/play/etc that uses Duff for their cake gets 50X their money in advertising. Plus with DVR's, we all fast forward through real commecials. It's genius!

LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 1:06am
post #33 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by calitexan

Ok just let me start out by saying that I am a fan of the show...love eet!! But can someone please tell me WHY they get orders for cakes made of styrofoam and cardboard? I just got done watching the episode where they make the Macy's 150th anniversary cake. WHAT IS THE POINT!? Why doesn't Macy's just order a replica of their building from an architecture student or something... I don't get why they would order this sort of thing from a cake shop? IT'S NOT A CAKE!!

Ok vent over... anyone feel the same way?

I feel EXACTLY the same way! I saw that episode and I never saw any cake in that Macy's "cake". They are fun to watch but I do think they use a ridiculous amount of non edible things like wood and pvc. I'd rather have a scaled down cake than one filled with plastic and wood!

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 4:23am
post #34 of 47

We each have our own thing. Duff and his extreme exploding psudeo cakes is big. Why not a New Yorker? Duff is big! You get the celebrity to fill the spot. It is all about the money. Hobbist or business - it is all about the money in the end. Love the show especially Geoff. If you have orders for something that sells all the time, you make it. To display a Duff or better discription - Charm City Cake creation is all about the artist. Watch the show for fun entertainment and if you can learn - he has got that special something that make him a celeb.

quilting2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quilting2011 Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 5:48am
post #35 of 47

Duff and crew are the best and should get paid for what he is worth.

Wing-Ding Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wing-Ding Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 5:25pm
post #36 of 47

NYC Bakers....hmmmm Collette Peters is a HUGE name too and she's in NYC as well.....

bigcatz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigcatz Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 5:59pm
post #37 of 47

As far as them using styrofoam...to each his own. They are going to do what works for them, and it's working! I just wish they would show more actual "cake" in the show, not just all the "fake cake showpieces". And companies are definitely going to choose the most well known right now to display their logo, no matter how far away they are...it's all business. IMHO
I still enjoy watching the show!

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 7:26pm
post #38 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyonzlake

It also kinda grosses me out that they don't wear gloves when handling the cakes and their hair is everywhere and I wonder why they don't wear aprons? It's like they throw cake around. I know I couldn't get away doing that stuff with our health department.

I see where you're coming from, but at the same time I'm sure people would have a heart attack if they realized the sheer volume of nastiness we ingest every day just by breathing. Smelling = particles entering your body.

I guess that's why their kitchen etiquette doesn't bother me too much - I've probably already "eaten" much nastier stuff today! icon_lol.gif

dellboi2u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dellboi2u Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 7:31pm
post #39 of 47

I love them! I like to see the fun side of things in their show. I like how they show things getting messed up as well. I am always learning new tecniques from them, and I must say they are a he ~double hockey sticks~ better than the Amazing wedding cakes show! I love cake girls, but honestly what is with Cake Divas? Cake Atelier (sp) make amazing flowers, and I crack up by the fact they look like they are going to break out in a cat fight any second,lol. Didn't they split up? Anyway... GO DUFF and the Crew! Love it~

calitexan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calitexan Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 7:34pm
post #40 of 47

It's Ace of Cakes, not Ace of STYROFOAM!! hahaha

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 7:45pm
post #41 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing-Ding

NYC Bakers....hmmmm Collette Peters is a HUGE name too and she's in NYC as well.....

Yes but like others have said..Duff has a show therefore, instant inexpensive (well for Macy's anyway) advertising! Collette doesn't have a show.

And technically the Macy's cake did have some cake. The building was placed on a huge (double full maybe) sheet cake. Which became the side walks and streets around the building.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 4:21am
post #42 of 47

Mary Alice said on several different shows that they should be called displays, not cake... But if the client wants it called a cake, they will darn well call it a cake!

sugarcheryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarcheryl Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 4:51am
post #43 of 47

I think they can call it cake. It's no different if we are asked to make a fake cake for a wedding or cake show. Like indydebi said he's laughing all the way to the bank.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 10:34pm
post #44 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

I think we're too picky.
Dude, when we get our own show we can get that little matter cleared up for our adoring fans.
(both of 'em--lol--Mom and Dad )

signed,
buzzkill k8t

icon_biggrin.gif

LOL!! Too funny!

lovelytee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovelytee Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 12:02am
post #45 of 47

The show is mainly for entertainment, although I think that they should use more cake in their designs. Did anyone see the episode when they used a pistachio caramel cake recipe? Does anyone have any idea how to make it? icon_biggrin.gif

BrendaS104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrendaS104 Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 2:46am
post #46 of 47

I just figure maybe macy's wants to display the cake in a window after the show. Real cake would spoil. *shrug*

mjballinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjballinger Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 3:18am
post #47 of 47

I just had to check this thread, hoping that Duff or Mary Alice regularly google the show/shop and wanted to input something, like Buddy did a few weeks ago. Not yet I suppose... icon_sad.gif

I'd also like to shamelessly add that I love Duff and Geoff and Mary Alice and everyone else there!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%