Food Coloring In Spray Can, Anyone Have Good Results?

Decorating By SeriousCakes Updated 14 Feb 2009 , 10:08pm by DsLady614

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 8:12pm
post #1 of 11

I have another order for a firetruck cake (can't hardly believe that after the fiasco the last one was!!) and I'd really rather not try to make a whole cake with red frosting again. Has anyone used the spray food coloring then decorated on top of that? Anyone have trouble with it weeping?

10 replies
neecerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neecerator Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 11:01pm
post #2 of 11

Hi Serious Cakes: I tried the Wilton Red spray color this Mon. for the first time. Thank God I tested it on a paper towel first, because it looked like a burnt orange, bloody brown/red color. I will probably NEVER use it. I was so disappointed. Hope you have better luck! Happy Valentine's Day!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 11:09pm
post #3 of 11

The canned color from PME is quite good. As usual, Wilton sucks.

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 11:21pm
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

The canned color from PME is quite good. As usual, Wilton sucks.

Agreed!

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 11:30pm
post #5 of 11

I just used Wilton red today and it worked fine. Good red coverage and quick for what I needed. http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1315731

Neecerator, I don't think you shook it long enough.

However, for the OP... it is a surface color and the white bc will show underneath if you penetrate it. [/url]

SeriousCakes Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 3:40am
post #6 of 11

Thank you everyone for responding, I'm going to be making some cookies tomorrow night and frosting them, I'll try some different sprays and see how they turn out icon_smile.gif

allibopp5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allibopp5 Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 6:48am
post #7 of 11

I've used the red and the blue, both with great results (Spiderman cake and Ladybug cake in my gallery). Just be sure you shake it REALLY well before you spray... and beware of the overspray...it gets all over your counters. After my first coat, I walked outside and held the cake in one hand and sprayed with the other...much better icon_smile.gif

cupcakeco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakeco Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 7:18am
post #8 of 11

Also, make sure you pinch your nose..or cover it. Cause the last time (first and last, actually...) I used that stuff, I was blowing my nose RED for a few hours afterward. In other words... try not to breathe it in. thumbs_up.gif

SeriousCakes Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 1:59pm
post #9 of 11

Ah, gotcha! Will definitely be covering surfaces with newspaper and maybe spray under the oven fan...

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 2:09pm
post #10 of 11

I used it once when I was making Spiderman cookies. It took several coats to get the color and then "I" was a red mess as well as everything around it!! cover all your surfaces as well as yourself!
Would never use it again.

DsLady614 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DsLady614 Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 10:08pm
post #11 of 11

Yup, I tried the blue on a cake once. My kitchen was blue, I was blue, the cake was... meh... blue in spots. I'm sure that people do get it to work, but I won't use it again when expecting good color coverage. Maybe as a misting color, but not for solid color.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%