Has Anyone Ever Thought To Try?

Decorating By Ayanami Updated 16 Feb 2009 , 4:19pm by Marianna46

Ayanami Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 8:05pm
post #1 of 17

I walked into Michaels the other day & the first thing I saw was the wall of collage & scrapbooking stuff. I got to looking at all of the intricate paper punches that scrapbookers use & I got to wondering ...

Has anyone ever tried to use something like that for punching fondant or gumpaste! I wonder how well it work or if it even would!?

I am all for using non-cake related items in my cakeing expeditions! thumbs_up.gif

16 replies
loriemoms Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 8:16pm
post #2 of 17

I know they sell punches for Sugarveil...Are the punches for paper food safe?

Tita9499 Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 8:17pm
post #3 of 17

I use stencils that are made for scrapbooking to stencil on my cakes. I just bought a bunch of them on sale at Michael's. Some of the very same designs cost 5 bucks a sheet and I got 3 sheets in a package for $1.

Ariginal Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 8:18pm
post #4 of 17

Yes i do... i use either my flowerpaste or my fondant with dyocell added.. i then roll out using my pasta machine as makes it really thin like paper.. and then i use as i would paper..
I bought some of the craft punches just for my icing so as not to use ones that have been used on paper incase of contimination. it is very effective.

I have also airbrushed them to suit once cut out or cust with lustre's.

have fun is a nice cheap and effective tool to have in your kit and so many different ones. makes good icing confetti for on cakes too

fiddlesticks Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 8:18pm
post #5 of 17

I love the selection of supplies in the clay section you can use for cakes/cookies.
I know some people use different stamps for fondant.

tx_cupcake Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 8:19pm
post #6 of 17

I loooooove scrapbooking stamps! While I know they aren't technically food safe, DH and I have eaten many cupcakes and cookies topped with fondant imprinted with these stamps and have yet to experience any kind of projectile vomiting or the like. icon_lol.gif

playingwithsugar Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 8:22pm
post #7 of 17

Ariginal -

Is Dyocell the same as Tylose or CMC? (Sodium Carboxymethyl Cellulose Gum or Cellulose Gum)

Thanks -

Theresa icon_smile.gif

rockysmommy Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 8:23pm
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by txcupcake

I loooooove scrapbooking stamps! While I know they aren't technically food safe, DH and I have eaten many cupcakes and cookies topped with fondant imprinted with these stamps and have yet to experience any kind of projectile vomiting or the like. icon_lol.gif

LOL!!! Good to know... Love all of these ideas...Thanks everyone...I am new at this and it is wonderful when you can get info like this...I love CC...

Robin

__Jamie__ Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 8:28pm
post #9 of 17

I have a huge assortment of paper punches, most of them from the Martha Stewart Collection. If you roll your gumpaste/fondant out right, and it's dry enough, they come out perfectly!

Ayanami Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 8:30pm
post #10 of 17

yeah! no adverse side effects! thumbs_up.gif ( icon_razz.gificon_lol.gif )

I'll have to go ahead & buy a couple to experiment with.

Thanks everyone! you guys rock!

icon_biggrin.gif

Marianna46 Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 9:00pm
post #11 of 17

My daughter has a set of edge cutting scissors for scrapbooking. They make really pretty edges in fondant, too. And of course they're washable! She picked them up either in a Michael's when she went to the US once or she found them in the Sam's or CostCo in Cancún, where she lives.

rockysmommy Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 4:35am
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianna46

My daughter has a set of edge cutting scissors for scrapbooking. They make really pretty edges in fondant, too. And of course they're washable! She picked them up either in a Michael's when she went to the US once or she found them in the Sam's or CostCo in Cancún, where she lives.

I love this idea...Thanks!

paddlegirl14 Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 4:41am
post #13 of 17

I doubt they are food safe,so be cautious when selling items that you have used scrapbooking equip. on.

I think as long as you clean them VERY well you are ok. Most of the metal tools like that come with oil on them to keep them from rusting.

I would punch out some first, even after cleaning, to be a little ore confident in the cleanliness. I am a stickler for cleanliness when it comes to food. (my degree requires it, too many true stories)

Redlotusninjagrl Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 4:53am
post #14 of 17

Yeah, I have been wondering this myself. I have been scrapbooking for nine years and stamping for about four. I have acquired quite the collection of craft stuff. I have just recently gotten into cakes. I think these all go hand in hand. It is all about being creative. I have a pile of stuff that I packed up to swap with other paper crafters, but now I'll have to see what I might can use for cakes!

Candee Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 5:00am
post #15 of 17

Can't believe this just was posted as I was just going to post something similar! I've used the larger craft paper punches and roll the fondant and some tylose mixed with it and roll very thin. I let it dry slightly before punching but you can get great snowflakes or hearts or stars or whatever you have punches for.

What I was wondering was if the Cri - cut machine they have would work for the fondant. They have a tool/attachment now that will cut thicker medium (it's the expressions model I believe-I just googled to read about it).

If the fondant/tylose were slightly dried-I wonder if it would work? If so that would be really great!! Has anyone tried?

Redlotusninjagrl Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 5:10am
post #16 of 17

I believe I have read that people have used the Cricut with some sort of frosting sheet. I wasn't sure what that was. But this person took the cutting pad and was able to somehow remove the stickiness. To cut images, she applied a thin layer of icing to act as an adhesive. She said that you had to clean the blade pretty frequently. And I can't remember if I read that thread here or on my stamping website.

Marianna46 Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 4:19pm
post #17 of 17

Talk about one of those things I'd really like to have: it's the Cricut machine. I don't know how (they don't sell them in Mexico and I don't go to the US all that often anymore), but one of these days... maybe after I get the Kitchen Aid paid off!!!

I agree with paddlegirl14 about being careful with food safety. I'm a fanatic about washing everything I use with lots of hot, soapy water. I don't think these scissors are unsafe in themselves (they don't contain lead, for example), but you never know what they've been treated with before they're shipped.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%