Butter Going Down?

Business By smab109 Updated 17 Feb 2009 , 11:43pm by kellertur

smab109 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smab109 Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 6:56pm
post #1 of 15

I was just at Sam's Club - their salted butter is $5.86 for 4 lbs! Anyone else noticing this? I grabbed alot in case it was a mistake! (which has happened to me there)

Crisco keeps going up though

14 replies
messy_chef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
messy_chef Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 7:03pm
post #2 of 15

I noticed the same thing with the butter and crisco at BJs as well.

mpaigew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpaigew Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 7:07pm
post #3 of 15

I have notice butter being less expensive lately; I have been able to get it well under $2/lb in regular supermarkets (if you live in various parts of the NE, ShopRite has a coupon this week for it...88 cents/lb!)

Unfortunately, flour and sugar has gone up in price, so it doesn't matter too much if butter is going down!

pouchet82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pouchet82 Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 7:11pm
post #4 of 15

In my area butter and flour are going down, significantly! Flour more so than butter (although our gas prices keep soaring but that's a different story!). I think it is just a sign of our times at the moment.

malishka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malishka Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 7:24pm
post #5 of 15

cake mixes went way up.. i used to be able to buy a box for 98 cents.
now each box is about $1.69.

ThreeDGirlie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeDGirlie Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 7:26pm
post #6 of 15

Well, milk is down, so it makes sense that butter will follow, right? When DS1 started drinking milk it was 4.44 a gallon - that was 18 months ago. On Sunday I bought some for 3.13 a gallon...

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 7:38pm
post #7 of 15

Yay! That's great news. I make SMBC and between butter and eggs, whew!

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 7:50pm
post #8 of 15

Really?
Butter has only gone up in my area. i used to be able to get it at Walmart for $2/lb but that stopped about a month ago. It's fluctuating now. Usually just under $3/lb

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 8:18pm
post #9 of 15

I noticed it at Costco..and sugar has gone down too. Its actually cheaper at Costco now then my distibutor...

iamlis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamlis Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 2:56am
post #10 of 15

I know, we were just discussing this! YAY! Is ALL I have to say icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 3:31am
post #11 of 15

I chart the pricing of my most purchased items. (surprised, aren't ya? icon_rolleyes.gif )

Between 2-7-08 and 1-1-09, my flour is actually down 5.9% from the 2-7-08 price. It's still freakin' ridiculous compared to the '06 and even the '07 price, but over a year, it's down. In Oct '08, it was up 36.9% from the Feb '08 price.

I use margarine, but the difference in price from 5-14-08 to 10-1-08, it's down 6.7%. At one point, it was up 17.7%.

Eggs are still up 15% from 1-1-08 to 1-1-09. They peaked for me at 23.3% during the year.

In talking to many others in the food industry, no we are not lowering our prices, because while prices were jumping on us on almost a daily basis, we couldn't raise our prices fast enough or high enough to cover the cost. We ate a lot of price increases. (I got a truck delivery every 2-3 weeks and the flour was always 20-30% higher than the last truck.)

So we are maintaining our pricing to (a) try to recoup the losses we took during the turmoilous (is that a word? icon_confused.gif ) price increases and (b) to hedge our bets against any price increases that are coming.

We're all a little gun shy now.

But all of this is a great example of why these types of conversation are important, and why keeping on top of these costs (and watching the trends) cant' be shoved aside and ignored.

Bethkay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bethkay Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 9:20pm
post #12 of 15

I purchased 4 lbs. of butter at Costco today for $5.53. I've noticed it going down the last few times I have purchased it. I'll take any price break I can get! icon_biggrin.gif

Bethkay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bethkay Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 9:22pm
post #13 of 15

I purchased 4 lbs. of butter at Costco today for $5.53. I've noticed it going down the last few times I have purchased it. I'll take any price break I can get! icon_biggrin.gif

iamlis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamlis Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 9:27pm
post #14 of 15

Ain't it sweet? I think I paid $6ish last week for unsalted, is salted higher? Maybe I bought that on accident...Hmmm.

Ahh but the gas is going back up icon_smile.gif

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 11:43pm
post #15 of 15

Our non-dairy butter just went up to~ $4.90 per ONE pound!!!

It's killing me. I buy it because it's non-hydrogenated and organic.
This is getting rediculous.

It seems baking staples in general are on the climb, once again. icon_mad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%