Ewww.... A Special Cake Mix?

Decorating By aswartzw Updated 14 Feb 2009 , 4:06am by dsevans

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 6:44pm
post #1 of 20

I've been regularly on theknot lately (wedding planning) and ran across an interesting post in regards to freezing the top tier of your wedding cake. Somebody posted saying you need to tell your baker you are saver the top tier because they will make it out of a special cake mix designed for a long-freezer life so the cake will still taste good.

Ewww... that sounds disgusting. What could possibly be in it? I wonder if the baker wasn't pulling her leg.

19 replies
-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 6:46pm
post #2 of 20

Sounds totally made up to me.

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 6:50pm
post #3 of 20

Me too.

Ayanami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ayanami Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 6:55pm
post #4 of 20

Brides will believe anything at that point. (guilty!) The thing that Brides need to be properly informed of is how to freeze a cake & how to properly thaw it.

Regardless of what you do though, a year old frozen cake just won't taste right. IMO

malishka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malishka Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 7:02pm
post #5 of 20

the cake that I was supposed to freeze for a year was eaten by the guests at my mother's house 2 days after the wedding. I was really upset.
Do you think that's why I got divorced 8 years later? lol

liapsim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liapsim Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 7:09pm
post #6 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by malishka

the cake that I was supposed to freeze for a year was eaten by the guests at my mother's house 2 days after the wedding. I was really upset.
Do you think that's why I got divorced 8 years later? lol

icon_biggrin.gif

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 7:12pm
post #7 of 20

my "trial and error" marriage top tier (mind you I was 18 then) was given to my parents dog when the marriage ended at less than 6 months!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 7:13pm
post #8 of 20

To expect a frozen cake to taste as fresh as it did on your wedding day is silly. But that's not the point of saving it. The point is, you are holding on to a piece of cake from that special day, and eating it with your hubby on your anniversary. It's not going to be the best tasting cake, naturally. So, get a new cake made to replicate the one from your wedding. Or be sentimental (like me) and save the top tier, and cherish the memories while nibbling on your cake.

aswartzw Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 7:13pm
post #9 of 20

Too funny, malishka! I've been told similar stories except it was actually in the freezer and the woman's brother took it out and ate it. Ate a frozen cake!

aswartzw Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 7:15pm
post #10 of 20

Also, the thing that I don't get are the people who think eating a year old cake is somehow going to kill them. It's in the freezer, people! How do you think freezing anything works.

Really the things I've read about cakes on these wedding sites just make me laugh. icon_biggrin.gif

kake4me2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kake4me2 Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 7:17pm
post #11 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by malishka

the cake that I was supposed to freeze for a year was eaten by the guests at my mother's house 2 days after the wedding.

Ditto for me, I show up the day after my honeymoon at our "gift opening" party at my parents, and low and behold there is my top cake tier front and center on the dessert table. Oh well, we've been married almost 15 yrs so I think it was ok. icon_wink.gif

ThreeDGirlie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeDGirlie Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 7:24pm
post #12 of 20

Brides will believe anything...

As for freezing the top teir, we did, and it was DELICIOUS a year later. White almond cake with Grand Marnier mousse and whipped cream icing - probably Bettercream. My parents were here on our anniversary (meeting our 3 week old baby) and they even thought it tasted good.

cookiemama2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemama2 Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 7:24pm
post #13 of 20

MAYBE THEY WOULD MAKE IT A FRUIT CAKE INSTEAD . I FORGOT MINE ON MY 1ST ANNIVERSARY ( IT WAS FRUITCAKE, AND I FROZE IT ), A CO-WORKER TOLD ME TO SAVE IT FOR THE BIRTH OF MY FIRST CHILD...3 YRS LATER IT WAS THE CAKE EVERYONE WANTED A PIECE OF!

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 7:27pm
post #14 of 20

LOL. I was going to freeze my top tier as well when I got married. They cake was so good and we didn't play on keeping it for a year but it was for when we got back from Mexico. Well, we got back and the entire cake had been eaten. We had a huge 3 tier cake and only about 20 people at the reception! (it was a small ceremony). Talk about someone mad.....I looked forward all the way home to that cake and it was GONE!

But no, I have never heard of a "special recipe". I would hate to eat all the additives in that if there was one!

malishka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malishka Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 7:38pm
post #15 of 20

I don't think it was a special recipe. I think the bride was told that just so they can charge her more for it.

Now that I heard about everyone's story of their cakes being eaten, I have to laugh with you guys. I took it so seriously at the time. But looking back now, it's a very minute detail that is irrelavent in the grand scheme of marriage things.

marmalade1687 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marmalade1687 Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 7:53pm
post #16 of 20

When we got married, someone in the kitchen at the venue crushed our top tier before putting it in the box (and didn't tell us - just put it in the box and closed the lid!). My mother-in-law took it home for us to freeze while we were away, so when we opened the box two weeks later it was literally crumbs! icon_sad.gif Worst of all, we hadn't been able to get to eat a piece of the wedding cake at our wedding either - it was so good, it went too fast! icon_cry.gif We ate the crushed crumbs anyway...it was either that or no wedding cake for us! icon_rolleyes.gif

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 11:52pm
post #17 of 20

My mom froze our top tier (and some of the left-overs from the bottom tiers, we'd overestimated how much cake we would need) and kept it in her chest freezer for us (they have a generator, so I didn't have to worry about the cake thawing and refreezing during the year). She did a fabulous job wrapping it. It still tasted absolutely wonderful on our anniversary.

I'm fairly certain the "special cake mix" for freezing the top tier is bull's spittle.

dsevans Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsevans Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 12:08am
post #18 of 20

i thin the special mix is made up...a way for them to try and maybe add an addit. charge...anyways my top teir wasnt very good at 1 year mark, but everyone whom has had one of my cakes always have rave reviews een at i year mark, but i also make my top tiers a plain white cake with a simplae buttercream and I am very specific about how to wrap and freeze and tahw

place your top tier in your freezer for appx an hour to get it stiff then wrap snuggly in plastic wrap and then in a thick layer of foil the day before your anni take out of freezer and put in fridge to thaw.....this seems to be the best way , and everyone so far has said it was excellent.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 12:12am
post #19 of 20

dsevans said: ......place your top tier in your freezer for appx an hour to get it stiff then wrap snuggly in plastic wrap and then in a thick layer of foil the day before your anni take out of freezer and put in fridge to thaw.....

Yep I agree. Do NOT wrap in foil w/o the plastic wrap. There is a chemical reaction of the icing & foil which will result in holesicon_sad.gif It also helps if you place the wrapped cake in a cake box or Tubberwear type container.

dsevans Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsevans Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 4:06am
post #20 of 20

yep, the pl;astic wrap protects the cakes from the foil and the foil protects better at keeping out freezer burn , if you freeze with just foil the icing will taste wierd and if you dont double wrap you will get freezer burn which makes is gross.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%