Powdered Sugar Glaze Recipe?

Decorating By sweet_2th_fairy Updated 13 Feb 2009 , 4:46pm by rockysmommy

sweet_2th_fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_2th_fairy Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 3:45pm
post #1 of 5

I posted another thread regarding decorating cake balls in non-chocolate & non-nuts toppings. One of the suggestions (made by sweetpea223) was to dip the cake balls in a powdered sugar glaze. The only recipe that I could find on CC is the following (by kakes_by_kim):

1 1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
3 tablespoons milk
Stir milk into sugar. Drizzle on dessert cakes, muffins and cookies.

Does anyone know if this "crusts" or does anyone have a recipe for one that does? I just wanted a glaze that will be semi-hard (like the glaze on a glazed donut) so that I can roll it in sprinkles and it won't be too messy when being eaten. TIA!

4 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 4:04pm
post #2 of 5

You might try the poured fondant that is used on petitfours

sweet_2th_fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_2th_fairy Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 4:21pm
post #3 of 5

Does poured fondant require a glaze or buttercream layer first? Do you have a poured fondant recipe that you recommend? Sorry...I've never used poured fondant.

classiccake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classiccake Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 4:30pm
post #4 of 5

The glaze should harden fine. This is how I ice my sugar cookies. I make the glaze and dip the top of the cookie and gently wipe of some of the glaze and then add sprinkles. They set up great and with a couple of hours, they can be stacked .

I use water, not milk, add a little salt to cut the sweetness and a bit of vanilla. I mix it until it is about the consistency of egg whites.

rockysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rockysmommy Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 4:46pm
post #5 of 5

classiccake...sounds easy and delicious. Going to give this one a try on some sugar cookies...Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%