Buying Undecorated Cakes From Bakeries

Business By gracecakes Updated 13 Feb 2009 , 3:30pm by jguilbeau

gracecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gracecakes Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 2:24pm
post #1 of 9

Hi, all or anyone who can help. I started a business a while ago, which is just trickling along because I need to rent kitchen space, And I am too tired and too busy with regular life. two toddlers and a baby on the way. I need to find a way to streamline so that I can stop turning cakes down and so that I can get back to doing something I enjoy. I love to decorated but I hate to bake.
Has anyone had any luck with finding a bakery that will sell you the cakes baked but undecorated? Or does anyone have a agreement with a friend or fellow baker to pay them for the baking only. How much should be paid? 25% 50%?
Is anyone is Connecticut in need of a decorator, or help, or sick of doing it on your own?

8 replies
-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 2:34pm
post #2 of 9

Congratulations! Sounds like you have your hands full right now!

Might you do better to try to find a part-time job as a grocery store decorator? FWIW, I would never want to decorate someone else's cakes, because taste is a big part of the end product, and I wouldn't like to lose control of that.

MBHazel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBHazel Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 2:41pm
post #3 of 9

I took a class from Bronwen Webber a while back and for the class they had shipped in already baked cakes. ( Taste was okay) They were not from her shop, but from some bakery supplier. I bet if you email her shop they can tell you where she gets the cakes for her classes.

However, I do agree with the other post, people will buy 1 cake because of how it looks, they will come back because of the taste.

Good luck with the new baby!

Hazel

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 2:54pm
post #4 of 9

There are companies that do sell their baked cakes, they usually come in half sheet sizes and many times are already cut in half to add fillings. All the grocery stores order these cakes as they no longer bake them themselves (at least none of the grocery stores here in TX anyway). They also have the wedding cake rounds in various sizes available. I wish I could remember the name of the company we used at Randall's, the cakes were pretty decent in flavor and moistness. do a google search on wholesale cakes, it might come up. But be aware these companies might only sell in very large quantities, I don't know, but it certainly would be worth checking out if you don't like to bake.

sshoshie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sshoshie Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 3:11pm
post #5 of 9

I have someone that helps me bake when I get busy and I pay $5.00 per cake....doesn't sound like alot but it adds up. I also supply all the ingredients.

gracecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gracecakes Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 3:13pm
post #6 of 9

yes, I do understand that flavor is something not worth compromising on, so I will have to google the wholesalers and try them out for some of my own holiday or family cakes first. I do wish I could work for someone or with someone, but I don't want to work at a grocery store because I wanted to work with sculpted cakes, fondant, sugar flowers etc. I am also worried that I won't get hired to work in a kitchen or bakery while pregnant. oh decisions decisions.

Any other help would be greatly appreciated, or anyone else who knows of these companies.

KlyKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KlyKat Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 3:19pm
post #7 of 9

I manage one of those few grocery store bakeries that do still bake their own cakes. In emergency situations in the past we have had to order in from our supplier and the cakes were quit good, the chocolate in particular.

Maybe a grocery store in your area would order in these cakes and just sell them to as is. I do not sell my un-decorated cakes because of a few UNLICENSED ladies in my area that bake from their homes. (no implication intented)

Good luck with everything, K'ly

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 3:29pm
post #8 of 9

Here's what you do if you want to work for someone else, which would probably be a great idea for you (well once you have your baby). Send a resume with a few photos of your work to every independant bakery in your area. You might be surprised to find someone might be hiring, and need a decorator that has your skills. Many times a bakery might want to go into the area of sculpted 3D cakes, but don't because they don't have anyone on staff that can do it. You sending a resume to them might just be an incentive to them to add that to their repertoire. You never know until you put yourself out there!

jguilbeau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jguilbeau Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 3:30pm
post #9 of 9

For me taste is most important, it is what keeps my customers coming back. It is very important to keep the reputation for fresh home baked cakes.

If it were me I would ask friends and family if they know of anyone that would like to make some extra cash by baking your cakes. Or if you have Wilton class in your area, the instructor could ask her class.

Good Luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%