What Recipe Do/would You Use For A Strawberry Shortcake?

Decorating By tonicake Updated 15 Feb 2009 , 3:30am by pastrychef22

tonicake Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 12:59pm
post #1 of 10

I'm making a strawberry shortcake for a birthday. She said she hasn't had a good old fashioned strawberry shortcake in years. I need a cake recipe and a whipped cream icing as well. I do not have a recipe for either one.

I've searched the recipes here and in my cake books. Nothing has caught my attention. I appreciate any help you can give.

Toni

9 replies
tonicake Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 1:35pm
post #2 of 10

Does anyone make this kind of cake? Anyone?

jguilbeau Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 1:48pm
post #3 of 10

I made one using this recipe http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1599-Enhanced-Cake-Formula.html (with Duncan Hines Butter Recipe).

and Heavy Whipping Cream for the filling. It was delicious..

ZAKIA6 Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 1:58pm
post #4 of 10

i use the america's test kitchen version. for some reason i cant find it online right now.

FlyGirl08 Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 2:22pm
post #5 of 10

I have more orders for Strawberry Shortcake than anything else. I use Duncan Hines butter cake mix, but for the water...I use only half water and half milk. I also sift the cake mix.

For the whipped cream, I whip heavy whipping cream (actually my Kitchen Aid does the work). A quart is enough for a 3 layer quarter sheet. I add about 1/3 cup of powdered sugar and a teaspoon of vanilla flavoring...add the sugar while it's whipping about a tablespoon at a time. Whip it to medium peaks.

For my sugar wash, I puree strawberries with 1/2 cup of water and 3 tablespoons powdered sugar and a dash of vanilla flavoring.

When I put the cake together, I split the layer, brush the cake generously with strawberry wash, cover the layer with whipped cream, cover the whipped cream with slices of strawberries (sliced with an egg slicer), and then cover with a thin layer of whipped cream to hold the strawberries in place. Continue the process and cover the cake with whipped cream. I usually place whole strawberries on top and around the cake. You will love this recipe. I have a picture, if you want to see the finished product.

tonicake Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 5:00am
post #6 of 10

Thank you ladies for responding. I have been busy today making mini cake pop buckets for my hubbys office. I'm free and back in the game!

Flygirl, I'd like to see a picture of the cake. I need to have this cake completed by 1:30 tomorrow.

I have another question for everyone. How long is the cake o.k. before it gets soggy? or does it get soggy at all, once it is put together.

Thank you again!

Toni

didi5 Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 7:36pm
post #7 of 10

In the old school way, the cake part for the Strawberry shortcake is more like a biscuit rather than cake. That's why it was called a shortcake. I think that's what your friend meant. Here are some links to the old fashion way,just take your pick!

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Strawberry-Shortcake/Detail.aspx
http://www.elise.com/recipes/archives/000270strawberry_shortcake.php
http://joyofbaking.com/StrawberryShortcake.html

I think with any of these recipes it's best to put it together the day you are serving it.

Getus Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 9:03pm
post #8 of 10

I'd be willing to be if she said she hadn't had a good old fashioned strawberry shortcake....she is talking about one like what didi5 is suggesting! These are delicious. My grandmother used to make these every summer when her strawberries were plentiful. thumbs_up.gif

pastrychef22 Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 3:26am
post #9 of 10

Yes make sure that you use a real shortcake for this becuase thats what i doand it gets rave reviews. The Whipped cream I use is just heavey cream whipped up with a just enough sugar added to make it sweet. Make sure not to get the shortcake to thick because if it is to thick there is usually not enought topping unless you cut it into several layers with strawberries in between.

pastrychef22 Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 3:30am
post #10 of 10

Yes make sure that you use a real shortcake for this becuase thats what i doand it gets rave reviews. The Whipped cream I use is just heavey cream whipped up with a just enough sugar added to make it sweet. Make sure not to get the shortcake to thick because if it is to thick there is usually not enought topping unless you cut it into several layers with strawberries in between.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%