Sad, Hurt And Disheartened...

Decorating By serenelui Updated 16 Feb 2009 , 3:15pm by serenelui

serenelui Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
serenelui Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 11:06am
post #1 of 60

A customer just came to collect her cupcakes from me for Valentine's Day and i originally thought she loved them. However, just 5 min. later i received an sms from her telling me that she hated the cupcakes and that they fell far below her expectations of what she had expected based on the photos of the cupcakes she had seen on my blog. I was really surprised when i got her sms as i had spent a lot of time and effort doing her cupcakes up for her and had actually turned down a few other orders to make sure that i could devote the approriate time and effort to her cupcakes. Now i'm left wondering if i really did such a poor job on her cupcakes and whether i should even continue my passion for baking anymore icon_sad.gif sigh.. she's the first customer i've actually got that has complained about the look of the cupcakes and i'm really upset as she now tells me that the money she spent on the cupcakes were money down the drain and that she wouldn't be giving the cupcakes to her loved one.. so i'm doubly sad as not only am i doubting myself, i have also ruined her Valentine's Day gift.. icon_sad.gif Has anyone else ever felt this way or is it just me being oversensitive to my first criticism??

59 replies
sillyjodes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillyjodes Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 11:21am
post #2 of 60

Take a deep breath. I just checked you photos and you rock! I don't have a business, but I've seen plenty on here about people trying to complain to get $ back. I'd just let her know if she isn't happy, bring them back, and you'll be happy to refund her. If she does, and I doubt she will, have a cupcake and enjoy! My guess is she's just wanting you to refund her $ without giving back the cupcakes. It happens so often. Oh and again, you rock!

saracupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saracupcake Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 11:25am
post #3 of 60

I agree with sillyjodes, get her to bring the cupcakes back. Ask her to explain exactly what she doesn't like. Saying they don't meet her expectations means nothing and like sullyjodes says is probably just a way to complain to try and get her money back.

Your work looks amazing, I can't imagine you making something that someone would be unhappy to pay for!

It's a horrible thing to happen to you and you can't help but feel bad but I think your really talented!

Sara

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 11:29am
post #4 of 60

I'm so sorry that happened to you. If you followed her order she has nothing to complain about. If she changed her mind after she received them that is her decision. I saw your pics and you do a wonderful job. I love the little doggie cupcakes. They are adorable. I would not let one person spoil your love for decorating.

I had done a 3 tier wedding cake, white with red royal icing roses and it was exactly like the picture. However, I was told the bride was disappointed because it did not have enough roses. I had the exact same amount of roses as in the pic- I counted!! That was the only complaint I ever had. And that was years ago.

Keep doing what you love. Take a closer look at your own gallery and you will see it's not you, it's her.

say_it_with_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
say_it_with_cake Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 11:41am
post #5 of 60

Please please don't doubt yourself, your work is amazing!

You said you originally thought she loved them, if she really wasn't happy it would have shown when she picked them up. She was only trying to get a refund/discount and possibly makes a habit of it with other purchases.

Don't let one negative customer stop you from bringing smiles to the faces of your future customers - they would most definitely be missing out on truly wonderful cakes if you quit!

mbpbrighteyes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbpbrighteyes Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 11:57am
post #6 of 60

I just looked at your gallery, and your work is incredible! I'm sure the cupcakes were beautiful... I wouldn't worry about the comment, although, I know how tough that can be! I'm only getting started with all of this, and my extended family have become quite the guinea pigs, and I know that even when I'm testing and want honest opinions how upset I get sometimes!! No worries... I'm sure they were absolutely fabulous!

serenelui Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 12:06pm
post #7 of 60

Thanks everyone for your wonderful comments and support.... it really makes me feel so much better to have everyone's unqualified support icon_smile.gif

I just asked her what it was she didn't like about the cupcakes and she complained that the little toppers for the cupcakes i made were too small, plus the cupcakes were on a plain white frosting which she says she hates as she hates white!! She never even mentioned that to me before when she placed her order. She also said that the cupcakes looked really plain and that some sprinkles would have been nice. Again, no mention of that to me when she picked up the cupcakes. Sigh...

Now she's asking me to do the exact same cupcakes for her again but to change the frosting colour and add sprinkles and that she'll pay for it... but after all her comments about being unsatisfied with the cupcakes, i don't think i'll take her up on the offer.. i think it's scary as on one hand she is complaining about how unhappy she is with them and then a few minutes later she's asking me to do them for her again?? Yikes!!

nana_anna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nana_anna Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 12:21pm
post #8 of 60

Sprinkles?? Please don't, your work is amazing.

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 12:30pm
post #9 of 60

This lady is crazy. You ruined her valentines day, but she wants you to make more for her? She did a hit-n-run on you, not mentioning anything to you, then sending a text, not good manners at all.

Do what you think is right, if you want to take another order from her again, be sure she knows what she is getting.

And a hug for you. We are so overprotective of our work, when someone says anything negative, it's so heartbreaking.

tonicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonicake Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 12:32pm
post #10 of 60

Your work is amazing, just as every one has stated. I was going to say, you'll know how unsatisfied if she orders again. Apparently she's not that unsatisfied other wise she wouldn't have already placed a new order.

I agree with the sprinkle comment - don't do it! If she wants sprinkles, she probably has some in her cabinet and can add those herself if she wants to mess up your work.

I'd like to see pics of the cupcakes. Do you plan on posting?

Toni

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 12:36pm
post #11 of 60

so what she is really complaining about is that you arent psychic! bummer. i think your gut not to do another order of these for her is right - on the other hand, the sprinkle and color change could get put in with a rush order charge...
xx

Cookie45 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie45 Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 12:36pm
post #12 of 60

I think you are right in not accepting the second order. She could decide not to pick them up leaving you with the time and expense wasted. I think I would have politely said, "I was not told what color of icing or that you wanted sprinkles and would have gladly complied had I known" and let that be that!!

Unfortunately, we all remember criticism longer than compliments. Once I made a wedding cake for a co-worker and she said nothing about it although other co-workers told me how good it was. Her silence was louder than their voice. Hang in there...all you can do is your best. Some people are just not satisfied with anything.

serenelui Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 1:13pm
post #13 of 60

thanks for all the wonderful support you guys... it's so heart warming to know that i have your support.. icon_smile.gif i'll try and post up the picture of the cupcakes i made soon gritswife... as for her 2nd order, i'm definitely not going to be doing it... worried that she'll complain about it again. :p

serenelui Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 1:21pm
post #14 of 60

Hi all.. i just uploaded the photo.. do take a look and let me know what you think... do you think they looked ok or were her comments really valid?

Karabear1125 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karabear1125 Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 1:33pm
post #15 of 60

I agree with the others..and your work is awesome! Your cupcakes are not plain and the toppers are NOT to small! They are adorable! I LOVE the care bear. I can't imagine all the work you put into those as I have no patience myself for fondant figures, lol. Don't do her other order; let her go to walmart, or sam's!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 1:36pm
post #16 of 60

your cuppies look great. i can't believe she asked you to customize EACH topper and then complained. i would suggest you tell her to bring back all the cupcakes. make sure they're untouched and then refund her money. your work is far too good to be unappreciated like that.

Melnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melnick Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 1:36pm
post #17 of 60

I just looked at your photo - they look great. I think sprinkles would have wrecked the effect personally but maybe she just had an idea in her head that she failed to convey to you and she was annoyed at herself and took it out on you which is why she was happy enough to try to place the order again straight away. You can't possibly guess what idea she had in her head. The only thing I can think about the frosting colour is maybe she expected pink or red given that it was for Valentine's Day? Don't sweat it - you did a great job. If anything use it as a learning experience and maybe make a point of getting clients to sign off on those minor details for you in future so you don't have to be worried? I really like the effect of all the different toppers having significance. Incidentally, did she bring them back to you? It looks like it would have been a great gift to give. Maybe next year I'll do one for my hubby!

Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 1:36pm
post #18 of 60

ok first off you do amazing work. I can see what she means about not really likeing the white. but what other color would look good with that? No colow would match the other toppers unless you did each cupcake a different color. I'm just wondering how much did you charge her for those lovely cupcakes because it wasnt enought. Tell the chick to go find some valentine day sprinkles and sprinkle to her heart is content. And dont take her second order especially if you have to do everything over. But I would take other orders from her and ask her specific color choices and add a PITA fee. They look amazing ignore her.

just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 1:38pm
post #19 of 60

Wow!! those cc's are AWESOME!!! Please don't let her knock you down!! I opened your gallery, and I thought I was looking at aine2's gallery - your figures are out of this world!
and sprinkles??! they would totally distract from these cc's, she's thinking bakery cc's w/ glaze and sprinkles... I'm glad you're not making a second order for her

Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 1:40pm
post #20 of 60

plain white - frosting sprinkles

Is she kidding - as if adding color to the white frosting really changes anything????

Just like everyone else you responded to your icon_cry.gif - there are some people who will try to make you feel bad to get more out of you. She must have liked your cupcakes enough to order more. I'm with you...scary ...not sure I would go that path again.

sprinkles...OMG

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 1:46pm
post #21 of 60

The woman is C-R-A-Z-Y. Just smile and step away slowly...

Your work is phenomenal. Don't let some psycho beeotch with control issues ruin your cuppie-esteem! thumbs_up.gif

pouchet82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pouchet82 Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 1:49pm
post #22 of 60

Your cupcakes are awesome the way they are! I think that the white looks great, I think that with another colour and sprinkles it would be waaaaay too much, and take away from your beautiful figures. Don't get discouraged, and remember that the customer ISN'T always right, somethimes they think they are, but we know better!

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 1:56pm
post #23 of 60

I guess she thinks they don't look Valentine's-y enough? Maybe if she does bring them back you could just add a red heart or two to each cupcake next to the other item that she asked you to put on or even if you set the cupcakes into maybe an additional red cupcake wrapper that might add something more for her. Your work is incredible and I cannot even imagine how long those figures take to do - you have an amazing talent there and I love the puppy cupcakes - well, I love them all. Just trying to add some suggestions to try to make her happy if you choose to do so. DON'T doubt yourself. Sometimes people have a thought in their head and they don't even know how to convey it but they know when they see it, obviously she had a different idea but unfortunetly she did not give you enough guideance on what EXACTLY she wanted - customers tend to do that, they think we're mind readers! You gave her what she asked for - it's not your fault that's not what she visioned....she should have been up front with you before she left and maybe you could have come up with a solution and avoided this. It is hurtful when you put so much time and talent into something and then someone has a negative word to say. Obviously she likes your work or she wouldn't have asked you to do it again, she just went about the whole thing in a bad way.

Chin up - we all think your work is great - I can't make a figure to save my life - believe me, I've tried many a times with very scary outcomes. icon_smile.gif You capture such exact detail in such tiny objects, it's amazing!

luv2cook721 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2cook721 Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 2:02pm
post #24 of 60

She is cracked! Your work is amazing, the detail on your figures is stunning! I wish I could come learn from you! As cartoonist S. Boynton says, "Don't let the turkeys get you down!" This lady is a turkey for sure.

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 2:05pm
post #25 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenelui

...( sigh.. she's the first customer i've actually got that has complained about the look of the cupcakes and i'm really upset as she now tells me that the money she spent on the cupcakes were money down the drain and that she wouldn't be giving the cupcakes to her loved one.. so i'm doubly sad as not only am i doubting myself, i have also ruined her Valentine's Day gift.. icon_sad.gif Has anyone else ever felt this way or is it just me being oversensitive to my first criticism??

Yes, you are waaay oversensitive! Don't even second guess yourself. Your whole gallery is filled with beautiful cakes and cupcakes. I am convinced that there are those among us who live to complain. I don't know what you charged her, but if you made all those individual fondant toppers by hand, you probably didn't even charge her enough. The only thing that I would have done differently would have been the packaging. I'm not sure if you had the cupcakes in the cake box just to take the picture. If she was handing them out individually, I would have packing each one separately in a nice container or an individual box with ribbon. Of course nice packaging costs, so I would have included that in her price.

Please don't cry and whatever you do ... do not offer her one dime back.

serenelui Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 2:09pm
post #26 of 60

Awww... thanks so much you guys!!!! You rock!!!

And yes!!! that's what i thought about the sprinkles and the colour!!!I had purposely done the base frosting in white and didn't add any sprinkles so that the toppers would be the ones that stand out!! I'm so relieved to know that i wasn't the only one that thought i should leave the cupcakes alone without sprinkles icon_smile.gif Thanks for all the wonderful support everyone and for your wonderful comments on my cuppies.. i feel so much better now. icon_smile.gif

Just_for_fun... thanks so much for your compliment.. i can't believe that you thought they were Aine's work!! You're so nice!! I think i still have some ways to go to get as good as Aine but it's so nice that you could even that i'm even anywhere close to Aine's figurines icon_smile.gif

Luv2cook721... aww you're so nice.. i'm still in the process of learning how to work with fondant and to do the toppers.. i'm so flattered you would even think that they are good enough to learn from icon_redface.gif

Adonisthegreek1, the cupcakes were actually all for 1 person.. so i placed all of them in a single box as per her request.. but i do need to get better packaging soon icon_smile.gif

As for the pricing of the cupcakes, i did charge her quite a bit cos i knew they would take ages to do.. so that was ok icon_smile.gif i was just upset that she didn't like them and didn't even say anything in front of me but only sms'ed me later to complain.. but i feel so much better after all your wonderful comments and support icon_smile.gif

Summernoelle, yes!! that's exactly how i felt!!! i didn't even feel like talking to my other customer that came to pick up another set of cuppies after her.. lucky i had finished my orders for the day and didn't have to do any others, if not i wouldn't have had the mood to do them at all! And i think i'll definitely be taking your advice on not having refunds once the person walks out the door.

I wish i could individually respond to all your comments.. but you guys are posting too quickly for me to do so! haha... but i really do appreciate all your support and wonderful comments!! thanks so much you guys!!!

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 2:15pm
post #27 of 60

Well, I have had this EXACT thing happen to me.
I made a cake for a lady-I really, really liked her. She was friendly, sweet, paid me on time. I took the cake over to her, she was a little frazzled, but told me she liked it. OK, great! I left for the day-went out of town for a family reunion.
I get home, have scathing messages on my VM. I call her, she rips me a new one. Tells me the cake was ugly, she didn't get what she ordered. Tells me everyone stood around at the party making fun of it. Sends me PHOTOS of them mocking it! Demands money back. I'm shocked, so I tell her 15%. By the way, they ate every bit of it, too.
She tells me that's not good enough. More nasty emails, etc. I give her 50% and she goes away.
The thing is-sometimes people don't want to tell you to your face whether or not they like the cake/cupcakes. They feel braver through phone, email or text. I think the lady in my case was waiting for her friends to tell her the cake was ugly-she couldn't make up her own mind about it.
One rule to have is that when a cake is picked up and accepted, that's it. NO REFUNDS. I have stuck to that. You got the cake, told me you were happy with it. End of story. I sometimes have them sign a waiver to that extent.
I too was disheartened and very upset for quite awhile. I didn't take orders for a few weeks. BUT, I have since learned that that was one customer. It's one person! Go back through your other cakes and look at what a great job you did, and how your other customers were happy. Please don't let one miserable human take away your joy of cakes. I had to learn to grow a thicker skin.
I just wish people would complain respectfully.

SweetOwens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetOwens Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 2:18pm
post #28 of 60

I think they look GREAT! If she wanted a specific color base frosting she should have said so! Don't beat yourself up, like everyone else said I think she may just be trying to get her money back!!!! You do great work!

sahrow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sahrow Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 2:26pm
post #29 of 60

She had the audacity to complain about "those" cupcakes!?!?!?

The frosting color- you can only assume white unless a color is specified. Any other bakery would do the same.

Sprinkles- Is she giving them out to children? yea, I know adults like sprinkles, too, but on classy cuppies like those? Not necessary.

She knows she got what she ordered, or wouldn't have offered to buy more in the color she really wanted. Maybe she is trying to be nice in an effort to get a big discount on more. You're right not to take her new order. I certainly wouldn't.

Those cuppies were perfect and wonderful.

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 2:30pm
post #30 of 60

I think this chick is one cupcake short of a dozen! These are AWESOME! NO NO NO Sprinkles! I mean, I love sprinkles and use them sometimes......uhhhhhh but NOT on these cupcakes!

Beth in KY

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%