Buttercream Too Crusty

Decorating By drgaddy Updated 15 Feb 2009 , 10:46pm by Frankyola

drgaddy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drgaddy Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 8:15am
post #1 of 12

My buttercream just looks too dry. Is there anything I can do? I made chocolate buttercream and it looks "too" crusty. Every time I pick the cake up, it gets "creases" which are very visible. Is there a way to fix it? How to prevent it? It never happened before... Thanks!

11 replies
Galler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Galler Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 8:40am
post #2 of 12

I have this problem too...bump

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 3:05pm
post #3 of 12

if its cracking when you move it on the board, a stronger/ thicker board should help.
crusting is all about the ratio of ingrediants, but i can never remember how it goes. if u search teh forums im sure its in there, unless someone else gets back to you!
xx

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 3:21pm
post #4 of 12

Add more fat to the icing. Yes, adding choco - especially if you used dry cocoa - will cause what you describe.
Also make sure your boards are strong enough. Sometimes you have to dbl or even triple them.

drgaddy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drgaddy Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 4:01pm
post #5 of 12

Thank you for your replies. I guess this cake is a bust... icon_cry.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 4:59pm
post #6 of 12

.......guess this cake is a bust...

No noicon_smile.gif Scrape off the icing and add some more fat to it(Crisco, butter or whatever you usually use).
You *might* need to add a bit of liquid also.

Also, I would put another board under what you already have used.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 5:02pm
post #7 of 12

Also...2 drops of white vinegar. I did that for the first time, in addition to using a more sturdier cake board...and no more dry cracks or elephant skin!

rockysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rockysmommy Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 5:09pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaigle

Also...2 drops of white vinegar. I did that for the first time, in addition to using a more sturdier cake board...and no more dry cracks or elephant skin!

I had heard about this...but was concerned about the taste of the vinegar...can you taste it?

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 10:02pm
post #9 of 12

Rockysmom....you cannot taste it. I don't know how it all works...because vinegar makes my eyes water it is so strong.....but I only put in a couple drops. I think surgarshack uses more in her 5qt batch. I remember reading a thread about it.

Getus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Getus Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 10:26pm
post #10 of 12

I use about a teaspoon of white vinegar to each batch of my BC. I use Indydebi's recipe, and just add the vinegar to it. Never have even tasted a hint of the vinegar. Works like a charm. thumbs_up.gif

rockysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rockysmommy Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 7:08pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaigle

Rockysmom....you cannot taste it. I don't know how it all works...because vinegar makes my eyes water it is so strong.....but I only put in a couple drops. I think surgarshack uses more in her 5qt batch. I remember reading a thread about it.

Thanks...I will give it a try. thumbs_up.gif

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 10:46pm
post #12 of 12

Hi I have a ???? so you guys add the vinegar and you do not have dry BC, but does the BC crust? I always use the viva method to smooth so I wonder if it does crust.

Thank You so much in advance thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%