Cake Boards

Decorating By pastrychef22 Updated 15 Feb 2009 , 2:16am by pastrychef22

pastrychef22 Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 5:50am
post #1 of 11

I am looking for something that i can get that looks nice to cover my cake boards for wedding and also that i can cover all the other cake boards that i use. What does everyone else use? Is there something i can get in bulk?

10 replies
kakeladi Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 6:00pm
post #2 of 11

There are many optionsicon_smile.gif
Many use floral foil is NOT food safe.
Some use contac paper. The jury is still out on this one......
Some yrs ago on another board someone contacted the maker and they advised against it saying it might be cut and give off slivers of plastic......I personally think they are trying to ward off any possible lawsuits on that advice icon_smile.gif

Others have used fabric, mylar and any foil wrapping paper covered w/plastic wrap.
There are commercial grease proof doilies available.
Household heavy duty aluminum foil (I prefer the dull side up).
Personally I started using purchased cake drums. They are food-safe foil covered. Yes, you could stack up a couple boards & cover them yourself but I have never been able to get the edge nice like the purchased ones and.......your time is worth somethingicon_smile.gif
Hope that gives you some ideas to run withicon_smile.gif

londonpeach Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 7:31pm
post #3 of 11

I cover most of my boards in fonant and usually emboss something round the top edge of the board or crimp the edges.

jammjenks Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 7:55pm
post #4 of 11

I use freezer paper for all mine.

Shelly4481 Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 8:01pm
post #5 of 11

I use the fancy foils, but I make sure I use the 1/4" foam core board between the cake and foil so that you don't cut the foil. I also use freezer paper for everyday cakes.

prterrell Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 11:26pm
post #6 of 11

I purchase rolls of different colors of food foil. I have also covered a board in wrapping paper and then covered that with clear plastic wrap.

brandywinecakes Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 4:59am
post #7 of 11

This is a good topic. Thanks for starting it! I use Reynolds freezer paper that is plastic coated and place the shiny coated side up for most of my cakes. It's white, so it looks nice and it's very easy to wipe clean. I have also used the fancy foiled covered drums for special occasions.

mommicakes Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 2:16pm
post #8 of 11
Originally Posted by prterrell

I purchase rolls of different colors of food foil. I have also covered a board in wrapping paper and then covered that with clear plastic wrap.

Where do you get the colored food foil??? I would love to know. Thanks.

stephaniescakenj Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 3:11pm
post #9 of 11

I buy the big pack of assorted tissue paper at michaels, cover my boards in a coordinating color and then cover that in either clear or pearly saran type wrap, also from michaels. I forget what the clear stuff is called, you wrap fruit baskets in it.

ladyonzlake Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 3:30pm
post #10 of 11

Fancy foil can be purchased at a variety of places. You can get gold and silver at Michaels in the cake section. Pfeifel and Holding has a variety of colors you can choose from at

I also use fondant and royal icing. If using royal icing make it so that it's "flooding" consisitancy and allow a few days for it to dry.

pastrychef22 Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 2:16am
post #11 of 11

The problem I was running into i changed the cake boards that i used and the new ones don't have a wax coating like the last ones i used so the oil from my cake and icing soak into the board. So i think for everyday cakes i will use freezer paper since it sounds like thats what others use and I already use the foils for when i have a wedding cake so that i can cover the wood boards i have on the bottom.

Quote by @%username% on %date%