Unthawing Cakes

Decorating By lolobell Updated 13 Feb 2009 , 11:35pm by Peachshortcake

lolobell Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 5:03am
post #1 of 10

can someone tell me the best way to defrost a cake?
room temp? Frig? covered? uncovered? etc..

thank you thumbs_up.gif

9 replies
Eme Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 5:15am
post #2 of 10

I leave mine on the counter for a few hours to defrost. I take off the foil but leave the plastic wrap in place. This way it doesn't dry out.

HTH

kbak37 Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 5:34am
post #3 of 10

I tried it for the first time tonight. I was a freezing skeptic! But I baked the cakes Sunday, let them cool for about 10-15 minutes, flipped them out onto cling wrap, wrapped twice and covered in heavy duty foil. I took them out last night and took the foil off, but left the cling wrap on (scared to death by the way of an impending cake disaster)I have just trimmed and crumb coated them, and I tried a few scraps........and drum roll please...the cakes were FABULOUS!!!!! No longer a skeptic!

hazelnut77 Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 5:43am
post #4 of 10

When i was in school we used to freeze cakes all the time. And now for some reason i'm so scared, but i have a couple in the freezer now, and i'm going to take them out saturday for a party on sunday.
I don't know why i'm so worried, i freeze a lot of other stuff icon_smile.gif

kakeladi Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 6:05pm
post #5 of 10

If a cake is well wrapped it will be *better* than just bakedicon_smile.gif
Freezing helps the moisture in the cake mellow thru the whole cake where as when right out ot the oven it could have dry spots.
Just take it out of the fzr and put it on the counter. Depending on the size of the cake it can take as little as 30 minutes to several hours to totally defrost. Yes, keep it covered. But once defrosted, I leave mine sit uncovered about 20 minutes so it's not sticky.

indydebi Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 8:29pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

If a cake is well wrapped it will be *better* than just bakedicon_smile.gif
Freezing helps the moisture in the cake mellow thru the whole cake where as when right out ot the oven it could have dry spots.

agree totally.

btw, to "unthaw" a cake, you put it in the freezer. icon_biggrin.gif

cakesdivine Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 8:43pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

icon_lol.gif I had to laugh at this too, sorry OP....

Isn't Unthawing a cake the same thing as Freezing a cake? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

lolobell Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 9:40pm
post #8 of 10

thanks again everyone. You always come through!

Melvira Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 9:58pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesdivine

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

icon_lol.gif I had to laugh at this too, sorry OP....

Isn't Unthawing a cake the same thing as Freezing a cake? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Great, we're the evil triplets now. All I could think was, "I just throw mine in the freezer." Hehehe. We are so awful! lolobell we mean no disrespect, that's just our horrible sense of humor!

I agree wholeheartedly though that freezing is great for cakes. As long as you wrap them correctly, then let them come to room temp before you try to ice. Otherwise the icing sweats and gets sticky. And yes, I like to keep the saran on them until they are thawed. thumbs_up.gif

Peachshortcake Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 11:35pm
post #10 of 10

One of my employees is always saying "unthaw" when she means defrosts. It drives me nuts, and I was going to point that out. But you ladies got to it before i could.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%