Can You Freez Batter?

Decorating By carpet Updated 13 Feb 2009 , 2:46pm by -Tubbs

carpet Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 3:32am
post #1 of 11

I want to make a cake useing the recipe for wasc . But i dont need all the batter . Can i freez the rest of the batter and if i can . For how long? I want to thank everbody on cc for all the help they given me carpet

10 replies
misserica Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 3:42am
post #2 of 11

IndyDebi just had a thread about this...let me go look for it!

misserica Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 3:44am
post #3 of 11

Ok I admit I am a computer dunce, so go into Forums and type "Frozen Cake Batter - my experiment" and that is IndyDebi's post about it...seemed to work for her and I want to be her when I grow up haha! HTH

all4cake Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 3:47am
post #4 of 11

I freeze batter all the time. I've never used wasc though. When I freeze it, I portion it out into prepared pans or lined cupcake tins. I've successfully frozen batter as cupcakes for 2 months in the deep freezer. I've only had the need to freeze batter in cake pans for 2 weeks....again, in the deep freezer.

mirda6275 Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 3:59am
post #5 of 11

I've frozen part of a batch of WASC before and it was fine. Just make sure you allow it plenty of time to thaw before you bake it.

You could also make a half batch, I think...

all4cake Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 4:24am
post #6 of 11

I don't thaw before baking. It goes from the freezer directly into the oven at the same temperature I bake that particular item normally...some items do require about 5-10 minutes more bake time.

JanH Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 4:58am
post #7 of 11

I've successfully frozen chocolate, yellow and marble WASC cake batter in the baking pans . icon_smile.gif

I don't thaw the batter, just bake as usual w/bake even strips. As all4cake said, it just takes a little longer.

HTH

CakeForte Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 6:01am
post #8 of 11

I forgot that I had frozen some leftover Italian cream cake batter. I baked it and it tasted as yummy as if I had just made the batter only moments earlier.

mirda6275 Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 11:57am
post #9 of 11

don't have to thaw huh...i'll have to try it. the only reason i've been thawing is that i've been saving it in storage containers/bags and it's in a weird brick shape. i guess it would spread out in the pan, but i didn't know if it would bake up evenly that way.

i love this site!!! i learn something new every day!

tonicake Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 12:07pm
post #10 of 11

I had no idea about freezing batter. I'm thrilled to know it works and now must do this. Simply for saving time and messes.

It's a great day, I've already learned something new. (Time to go back to bed! It's about 6 am!)

Thanks to all!

Toni

-Tubbs Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 2:46pm
post #11 of 11

icon_surprised.gif Wha..? Bu..? Really? I learn something new EVERY SINGLE TIME I come on this site. I guess you could line the pan, freeze the batter and then remove it to a ziploc (I don't have very many pans and couldn't afford to have them tied up in the freezer)

Thanks for asking the question!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%