I Bought A Costco Cake The Other Day...and It Wasn't Bad.

Lounge By LaSombra Updated 23 Feb 2009 , 5:09am by Michele01

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 2:12am
post #1 of 9

My son'w birthday was monday and I made some cupcakes for his class. Then I was just too tired to actually make and decorate a cake... and I was going to Costco anyway so just picked up a cake while there. It was chocolate with cream cheese filling.

Yeah, the decoration was...blech, but I liked the cake. I mean, it's not like homemade or anything but if I had to buy cake all the time, I'd choose Costco.

ANyone else think they're not bad?

8 replies
lilthorner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilthorner Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 2:23am
post #2 of 9

I like costco's cake with the vanilla/cheesecake or whatever in it.. had some Sunday!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 5:21am
post #3 of 9

Costco sheet cakes aren't bad at all. icon_smile.gif

Saveur magazine rated Costco's bakery sheetcake #25....but the rest of the thread was lost in the CC crash....

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 7:21am
post #4 of 9

I really didn't like the chocolate cake when I did this once, but I have very specific tastes when it comes to chocolate. However I did think the carrot cake was QUITE good. It too had that cream cheese frosting, which was light and very yummy.

It's a real shocker when you go in there and see that photo board of the 5 (ok I'm exaggerating) decorating options, isn't it?!

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 4:16am
post #5 of 9

yeah, I can only imagine being saddled with only 5 options to choose from... They should give the option of just plain so you can decorate yourself icon_smile.gif Honestly, if I could get good cake already made, I'd probably buy it and decorate when for myself and family because I can be pretty lazy icon_razz.gif

ceshell Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 5:25am
post #6 of 9

Actually they DO give that option! Sort of, you just have to write it all over the sheet "Blank cake - no decoration!". I did that for a cake in December - got a blank Costco cake and decorated it in an Elvis theme thumbs_up.gif That was the cake I didn't really care for though. But it was for a party at a bar, I figured nobody would even notice what it tasted like. I am doing a cake for a friend this weekend, she offered to just buy a sheet cake and have me decorate it...I turned her down. But I agree, if I could get the cakes I LIKE already made, oh that would be just ideal sometimes. Although that takes the fun out of trying something new for the guinea pigs--I mean family.

ceshell Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 5:25am
post #7 of 9

Actually they DO give that option! Sort of, you just have to write it all over the sheet "Blank cake - no decoration!". I did that for a cake in December - got a blank Costco cake and decorated it in an Elvis theme thumbs_up.gif That was the cake I didn't really care for though. But it was for a party at a bar, I figured nobody would even notice what it tasted like. I am doing a cake for a friend this weekend, she offered to just buy a sheet cake and have me decorate it...I turned her down. But I agree, if I could get the cakes I LIKE already made, oh that would be just ideal sometimes. Although that takes the fun out of trying something new for the guinea pigs--I mean family.

quilting2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quilting2011 Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 6:17am
post #8 of 9

At work I brought in a costco cake for coworkers baby shower. I requested all white with heart shaped roses. I added my own fondant pink baby blockes and decorations Rattles etc. I wrote on the cake.

Costco cakes are great when you are too tired or just too lazy to bake for friends or family.

Last year, I mentioned I attended a wedding. The bride and groom decided to get married and gave us 24 hours noticed. They were married in NY City Hall. The reception was at their tiny apartment. Everyone pitched and brough food from costco. Their wedding cake was from costco too. The bride and groom are pastry chefs and instructors at a well known culinary school in NY. They loved the costco cake!

It was a casual simple wedding with 38 of their closest friends and family members.

Michele01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michele01 Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 5:09am
post #9 of 9

I celebrated my birthday out of town with my parents 2 years ago, and didn't feel like making myself a cake to travel with. I went to costco as well and had the yellow cake with chocolate mousse filling. I loved it. Well it wasn't as good as my cake, but you get the idea. lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%