6" Cake

Business By mija10417 Updated 13 Feb 2009 , 9:14pm by Marianna46

mija10417 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mija10417 Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 1:29am
post #1 of 10

Does anyone tell their customers that a 6" cake will feed 10 and if so, did you ever receive any complaints that it wasn't enough?

9 replies
classiccake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classiccake Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 3:05am
post #2 of 10

I always say, "It feeds 8 to 10." Ten servings is a wedding cake portion. Some people want larger servings for parties. Give an "estimate" and you are leaving the # up to them...how big they want to cut the servings.

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 12:12pm
post #3 of 10

I let them know it will give them 8 slices, if they want to go smaller pieces its up to them. Usually they will see the 6" dumy I have and out of skepticisim order the 8".

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 12:36pm
post #4 of 10

THey all think it's not enough because us CC'rs cakes taste so good that they want more!

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 1:25pm
post #5 of 10

I tell them the "suggested" wedding serving size, and the "suggested" party serving size. I have dummy samples of both serving sizes in my display case. The visual of these slices, really helps them to see what they should expect as a "serving".

Most of them go up because they want the larger serving size, so they pay for more cake.

My DH would think that a 6" serves 3 icon_eek.gificon_biggrin.gif

mija10417 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mija10417 Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 2:01pm
post #6 of 10

Thanks everyone! That helps a lot!

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 8:23pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly27

I have had a couple of grooms like that! They want the topper to be THEIR flavor since they and the best man are going to be the only ones eating it. I guess it looks small to them! But what do men know about size..... icon_redface.gif

Ariginal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ariginal Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 8:32pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriemoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly27

I have had a couple of grooms like that! They want the topper to be THEIR flavor since they and the best man are going to be the only ones eating it. I guess it looks small to them! But what do men know about size..... icon_redface.gif

My dad would eat a 6" to himself... infact i made his xmas cake using a small bowl cake this year and he asked where the rest was hehe he LOVES cake.

and men well depends what they are comparing the size to i suppose ;O) hehe

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 8:37pm
post #9 of 10

I tell them "It's designed to serve 8-12, depending on how big you cut it. If you think you might cut it larger than the standard size, which is about the size of a folded over peanut butter sandwich, then you might think about getting the 8" cake."

But this is all theoretical because I dont' make a 6" cake unless it's part of a wedding cake.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 9:14pm
post #10 of 10

I'm with you, indydebi, I would only make a cake 6" or less in diameter if it were part of some other cake. It takes as long to decorate as an 8" or larger, so it's not particularly cost-effective (okay, I'm not charging yet, but I'm learning a lot about pricing here on CC icon_lol.gif ). The few times I've made 6" and 4 1/2" cakes have been when I stack several of them to look like something skinny and tall, such as a present. Since I'm still giving my cakes away to friends and family, the "how may will it serve" question has not exactly weighed heavily on my mind.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%