Substitution For Whiskey In Mud Cake????? Help!

Decorating By jessi01 Updated 13 Feb 2009 , 12:27am by jessi01

jessi01 Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 10:43pm
post #1 of 8

I am making the dark chocolate mud cake right now and I do not have whiskey? anyone know what to substitute? I was thinking coffee but no sure????

7 replies
dbledet Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 11:00pm
post #2 of 8

I don't have any experience with mud cake, but I have a really good brownie recipe that also calls for instant coffee. The coffee enhances the chocolate flavor. They are soooo good! I would think it may be ok, but I'm not sure. Sorry I can't be of more help. Good luck. Who may just create a new recipe! thumbs_up.gif

Brontecakes Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 11:06pm
post #3 of 8

I don't think there is a substitute for whiskey. If its only a small amount then leave it out all together.

Check this website.

ptanyer Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 11:19pm
post #4 of 8
Originally Posted by jessi01

I am making the dark chocolate mud cake right now and I do not have whiskey? anyone know what to substitute? I was thinking coffee but no sure????

How much whiskey does it call for? Do you have any other alcohol available? I use a Colette Peters chocolate cake recipe which calls for bourbon and I have substituted Godiva Chocolate Liquour, Bailey's Irish Cream, Kahlua with no problem at all.

I have never made a mud cake before. What is the texture like? Does the texture change after it is refrigerated?

Good luck,
Pam thumbs_up.gif

vickymacd Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 11:23pm
post #5 of 8

I just made mud cuppies and it called for instant coffee.
I would also use Godiva liqueur or Kahlua maybe. But the instant coffee was wonderful!!

Brontecakes Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 11:33pm
post #6 of 8

Jessi01 do you have any coconut cream or coconut milk. This is what I put in a particular recipe that I use and it adds a really nice flavour. Of course it depends what recipe you are using. Can you post the recipe so I can have a look at it. Might help with suggestions. icon_smile.gif

ptanyerI make mud cakes all the time and basically they "look like mud" have a very thick texture, they almost look uncooked. They are more a dessert cake to be eaten with cream, icecream or ganache. They take a longer time to cook at a lower temperature. They can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge with no problem. They freeze no probs either. No change in texture with fridge or freezer. icon_smile.gif

Pardon my ignorance but does the rest of the world have Cherry Ripe chocolate bars???? If so I have a magnificant recipe that I will share.

1of5wives Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 11:48pm
post #7 of 8

The Dark chocolate mud cake sounds devine... (whiskey in a cake..mmmm) Is the recipe in the recipe forum. I could not find it. If not in the forum, does anyone have a link to the recipe. I would love to try it. I have to make 22 mini cakes for a fundraising dinner and I am looking for a really heavenly choc cake recipe.

jessi01 Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 12:27am
post #8 of 8

Thanks for all the responses! it only called for 4TB of Whiskey I went ahead and used espresso.. The Recipe is from Boonenati.. It is in the recipe section. looks good.. hope it is icon_smile.gif

Next time i will try Kaluah or coconut cream like mentioned sounds wonderful!

Quote by @%username% on %date%