6" Tall Cake, How To Judge Servings....

Decorating By acookieobsession Updated 13 Feb 2009 , 3:22pm by sweetcakes

acookieobsession Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 9:22pm
post #1 of 7

i have a cake that will have 2 tiers that are 6' tall. I judeged the servings to be about 1/2 again as many..so if it was 20 servings I think it should serve 30. Is that correct? If not....what would be correct. Normally my tiers are right around 4" tall.

And, while we are talking about that...do I need to remind the venue people to cut smalller pieces since it is so tall?

Thanks so much for the help.

Julia

6 replies
MikeRowesHunny Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 9:33pm
post #2 of 7

For 6in tiers, I make 2 3in layers, tort and fill them both twice and then put a board between them with dowels in the bottom half. Essentially, when the cake is decorated you then have two cakes in one. If the cake is fondant I put a disc of fondant on the bottom cake before adding the next one. Cutting smaller slices than 1x2in when it's 6in tall would be hard, so now you are just cutting regular sized slices from the 2 3in deep cakes, Does that make sense?!

acookieobsession Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 11:58pm
post #3 of 7

Ok, I get that....I wondered if that would be the way to go...

So would it still be reasonable to assume to get 30 servings form the cake that would serve 20 as a 4"? A 4" tall cake serving 20 as qty of 2 3" tall cakes would give me about 30?

I am not so concerned with price as I am concerned with making sure they get enough cake servings as they are having a plated dinner.

Thanks....Julia

indydebi Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 12:42am
post #4 of 7

If you put a cardboard every 3" inches and cut pieces of cake down to the cardboard, you should be ok.

But if you're going to cut a piece of cake that is 1x2x6 (instead of 1x2x4), you're not going to get more pieces .... you're just going to get taller pieces.

Katie-Bug Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 12:50am
post #5 of 7

When I had to do a Amish wedding cake, it was 8'' tall!! It was huge!!!!

I just took what the cake would typically serve, and doubled it since my cakes are normally 4''.

I don't remember what size it was, it was a large heart, whatever it served. White with the imprint from a Bounty, and little pastel pink hearts all around it. I doweled it and put boards between each layer. It held up well for a while, but after the 2 hours drive it looked pretty bad. It got a lot of bubbles and there was lots of shifting. I repaired the best I could and left it. They didn't serve it for like 30 hours. Once it was let alone it didn't do anything else.

Good Luck,
icon_smile.gif Katie

acookieobsession Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 2:46am
post #6 of 7

Ok, I am almost clear....but...

if you cut a 3" tall cake are the pices bigger? Like wider ? Of is it jsut 1x2x whatever height?

sorry to be dense....not much sleep here this week...

sweetcakes Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 3:22pm
post #7 of 7

you could have them cut it wider, if you tell them there is 2 layers of cake to serve from they know they have to get 15 servings from each layer.
a slice that is 1x2x4 = 8 sq inch of cake
a slice that is 1.5x2x3 = 9 sq inch of cake

You can only advise them how to serve it, but unless you stay to serve you have no guarantee how big they will cut the slices.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%