Ganache Questions

Decorating By banananutmuffin Updated 14 Feb 2009 , 5:15am by brandywinecakes

banananutmuffin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banananutmuffin Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 8:37pm
post #1 of 7

So I am thinking about making chocolate cupcakes for Hubby for V-Day... he's a total chocoholic. I have a couple of questions about ganache, though:

1. If I refrigerate ganache to bring it to whipping consistency to make a filling for cupcakes, can I reheat to bring it to pouring consistency for the tops of cupcakes? Or should refrigerated ganache not be reheated for some reason?

2. How long can a cupcake or cake made with ganache stay out at room temperature and still be good?

3. If I make a chocolate cupcake with whipped ganache filling and a (thick) poured ganache top, is that TOO much ganache? In your taste expertise, would it be better to top with some chocolate buttercream and then pour a thin layer of ganache (instead of thick)? For that matter, would a thick layer of just ganache even taste right on cupcakes? (I am not a chocolate lover, so I just don't know...)

Thanks for your thoughts!

6 replies
mrsb37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsb37 Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 1:45am
post #2 of 7

Bump. I'd like to know, too.

TammyH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TammyH Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 1:47am
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by banananutmuffin

So I am thinking about making chocolate cupcakes for Hubby for V-Day... he's a total chocoholic. I have a couple of questions about ganache, though:

1. If I refrigerate ganache to bring it to whipping consistency to make a filling for cupcakes, can I reheat to bring it to pouring consistency for the tops of cupcakes? Or should refrigerated ganache not be reheated for some reason?

2. How long can a cupcake or cake made with ganache stay out at room temperature and still be good?

3. If I make a chocolate cupcake with whipped ganache filling and a (thick) poured ganache top, is that TOO much ganache? In your taste expertise, would it be better to top with some chocolate buttercream and then pour a thin layer of ganache (instead of thick)? For that matter, would a thick layer of just ganache even taste right on cupcakes? (I am not a chocolate lover, so I just don't know...)

Thanks for your thoughts!

Just my opinion:

1. Yes, I have done this but after re-heading it may have some air in it...
2. Can't help you there. I have left a ganache cake out for 2 hours but I don't know if it was "safe"...
3. It depends... my DH would say there's no such thing as too much! personally, I wouldnt mix the ganace with another chocolate frosting unless they compliment each other in flavor (yes, I know you said chocolate, but there's milk, white, dark, semi-sweet, flavor-oils, liquor,...).

TammyH

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 2:32am
post #4 of 7

Here's my take on this:

1. Divide your ganache in 1/2. Whip 1/2 and save the other 1/2 to reheat for topping.
2. Should be fine for a few days as long as your house is 70 deg F or less.
3. Sounds delish to me!

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 6:35am
post #5 of 7

My take (p.s., my answers are otherwise known as: what prterrell said!):

1.Yes, but be sure to reheat your ganache slowly and steadily, e.g. over a double boiler or carefully in the microwave, or you may break the ganache.
2. Yes, 1-2 days if your ganache recipe is 1/2 cream 1/2 chocolate
3. There is NO such thing as too much ganache! LOL. I made the Scott Clark Woolley Fudge Brownie cake (a ridiculously chocolatey cake) and filled and iced it with whipped ganache. I was soo worried that it would be too intense. Instead, I was begging BEGGING for more. I ate the leftovers for breakfast and dessert for 3 days straight! Not all people can handle that much chocolate but if your hubby is indeed a chocoholic, it'll be perfect.

banananutmuffin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banananutmuffin Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 3:25pm
post #6 of 7

THANKS for the replies. I will probably do two separate batches of ganache to be safe... one for whipping and one to pour. He's a total chocoholic... I think he'll love all that ganache. Thanks again!

brandywinecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brandywinecakes Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 5:15am
post #7 of 7

I've only made ganache twice, so take my advice for what it's worth.

1. I reheated my ganache a few different times over a about a week and it was fine. It was just like fresh every time.

2. I don't know the answer to this, however, I put my ganache covered cake in the fridge over night and that was the best tasting cake I've ever made. Something about the ganache being cold was very good.

3. There is no such thing as too much chocolate!

HTH!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%