What Is The Difference With Fondant Vs Gumpaste?

Decorating By Carol97 Updated 13 Feb 2009 , 1:51am by mrsb37

Carol97 Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 7:36pm
post #1 of 4

I'm getting ready to make my first cake. I want to make some flat daisy flowers, make a "Happy Birthday" little sign to stick on top of the cake, and make the number "2" for the top of the cake. Would fondant or gumpaste be best for these type of items? How long in advance should I make them? Do they have to set out to dry and how long? How is the taste of these on the cake after they dry ~ or do you use them basically for decoration but not to be eaton?

Thanks so much! I would appreciate the information!! icon_smile.gif

3 replies
Florimbio Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 7:48pm
post #2 of 4

both can eaten...fondant will harden but gum paste gets as hard as a rock...they both start out the same kinda texture...to make what you are talking about...I would do 1/2 fondant 1/2 gum paste mixture...roll and cut and lay out on wax paper over night...should be ok for the next day...but if bigger may want to give it a day or 2...

msmeg Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 8:56pm
post #3 of 4

it depends on how thin you want the petals. Gumpaste can be rolled much finer and is more realistic But a daisy would look lovely in fondant and because it stays fairly soft it can be eaten something thick out of gumpaste could break a tooth. Then it is fine... Usually people save my gumpaste flowers.

mrsb37 Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 1:51am
post #4 of 4

I agree w/ Florimbio about half & half, if they are not going to be eaten. If they are going to be eaten, MMF is best. Still, sounds like half and half would work best for your project, since this makes it easier for the shapes to stand up.

Fondant will dry hard if left out in the air, but will soften again if sealed up. Anything with Gumpaste will harden and stay that way no matter what.

Quote by @%username% on %date%