Chocolate Buttercream Help!

Baking By dmq1298 Updated 18 Feb 2009 , 4:05am by miachas_mom

dmq1298 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmq1298 Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 5:56pm
post #1 of 13

So I have a great recipe for chocolate buttercream, it tastes wonderful...but... once I am done icing the cake it looks almost like it is marbled. There are dark and light streaks in the icing. Anyone know why? What can I do to keep it from doing that? Thanks Donna

12 replies
malishka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malishka Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 6:07pm
post #2 of 13

Donna, care to share your recipe? Is it a crusting buttercream recipe? I have a cake due next week covered with chocolate buttercream and I've never done that before.

Maybe you're not mixing it enough. I mean if there are streaks in it that means that you would have to mix the buttercream for at least 5 or 10 more minutes on a medium speed.

mcalhoun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcalhoun Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 6:17pm
post #3 of 13

Donna,
If you find a secret be sure and tell! I love the taste of my chocolate bc but sometimes I see streaks as well.

Malishka,
All I do is make reg butter cream and add some cocoa powder then melt some chcoclate and drizzle it into the mixer. It tastes great! But sometimes I do get the shading.

whisperingmadcow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whisperingmadcow Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 6:27pm
post #4 of 13

How do you mix it? Are you using a KA? Melted Chocolate or cocoa powder?

malishka Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 6:31pm
post #5 of 13

mcalhoun,
Does that buttercream crust? The reason why I am asking is that if you put some melted chocloate in it, does that change the crusting factor?

Donna, I am so sorry, I really don't mean to sabotage your post.
Do you put melted chocolate into your BC as well? Maybe that's the problem. Maybe it doesn't melt enough to be incorporated completely into the buttercream.

I hope somebody on here can give us a hint.

dmq1298 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmq1298 Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 6:53pm
post #6 of 13

Malishka, don't worry about asking questions, I want to know too.

Here is my recipe...
12oz butter
10oz shortening
1/2 C Milk
5Tbsp Karo Syrup
4 oz coco
3 tsp banilla
pinch salt
3lbs powdered sugar

Cream butter, shortening, milk, and vanilla. Add 1 lb sugar, let mix, add coco, let mix, add the rest of the sugar, once incorporated add karo and beat for 10 min.
It really is good, but I guess maybe it is the way I am icing the cakes. I use a spatula not a bench scraper...don't know why I just can't master that! Do you think if I use hot water on the spatula it would help?
Oh and YES it does crust!!! Thanks for all your suggestions...keep um comming! Donna

PS I use my KA mixer, and it just barely fits, I have also doubled this recipe in my 20qt and the same thing happens...uhhhh

malishka Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 7:02pm
post #7 of 13

I have noticed that there are 2 types of caro syrup out there. One clear colored and one dark colored. i don't think that would make a big difference, but
milk = white
caro syrup = dark
powdered sugar = white
shortening/butter = white
coco = dark.

Do you see my thinking here?
I always use a spatula to ice my cakes with. i just bought the bench scraper last month and have yet to use it. i don't think that's your problem.
try to mix all that on high speed in your KA. Is the icing a thick consistancy or can you thin it out a bit so that it can blend better.

I could be wrong.

mcalhoun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcalhoun Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 7:37pm
post #8 of 13

yes I use my kitchen aide and I use Sugarshacks recipe w/ just a little more creamer since I am adding cocoa powder. I melt the chocolate in the microwave and stir it up good till its all liquid then just stream it in so it doesnt melt my butter cream. I hope that makes sense. And yes it crusts the same as it does w/o the chocolate.
Melissa

whisperingmadcow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whisperingmadcow Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 7:56pm
post #9 of 13

hmmm.... does this happen after you frost? Does it look fine in the bowl, but get that marble look once it sets up?

I am guessing its a mixing issue. I find with my KA that no matter how many times I stop and scrap that is always a little under mixing. Maybe try mixing it a little longer.

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 3:28am
post #10 of 13

I get the best results using just straight melted chocolate. I used to have streaks too when I only used cocoa powder:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1155665
But now they look like this:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1240927

miachas_mom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miachas_mom Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 1:39am
post #11 of 13

hey serious cakes. wondering if you could give me your recipe for chocolate buttercream?

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miachas_mom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miachas_mom Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 4:05am
post #13 of 13

Thank you!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%