Cake Product Labeling Question

Business By No-goodLazyBum Updated 13 Feb 2009 , 1:15am by costumeczar

No-goodLazyBum Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 2:45pm
post #1 of 5

For those who use the WASC recipe for your home bakery, how does your product ingredient label read? Would the box ingredients automatically become your ingredients? Do you just list the major components plus anything that would trigger allergies or what?

100% scratch recipes are simple enough to list but what if one of your ingredients has a list of ingredients of its own?

Lazy (and confused) icon_smile.gif

4 replies
costumeczar Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 2:50pm
post #2 of 5

I'm in Richmond, too...If you're selling cakes and were told that you had to label them, there's an exemption for cakes that are delivered by you. The inspector told me that it's a good idea to include a list of allergens that are in the ingredients, but you don't have to do labels for things that are delivered personally to a venue. (I did a cake for one of the agr.dept. employess who handles this kind of thing, so I got it straight from her.)

If you're selling at a farmer's market or some other place where you're sending packaged goods home with people, you need to label that, and it should include everything that went into the cake, including the ingredients from the cake mix box.

No-goodLazyBum Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 4:23pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks-a-million for the info! icon_biggrin.gif Its going to be a big label for some of my products but at least it can be traced. Most will be delivered.

pinkpiggie78 Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 11:23pm
post #4 of 5

When I called concerning the labels (I am in Fredericksburg, VA), they told me that it wasn't a big deal for home bakers selling commissioned goods directly to the customer. He also told me you must list all the sub-ingredients from box cakes and everything else (you would be surprised about how many "other" things are in butter, cream cheese, etc., but their biggest concern was about the allergen info (which I understand because my son has several food allergies). So I actually purchased special labels stating this product contains... nuts, peanuts, etc and are not made in a nut-free environment. Vista print makes fairly inexpensive labels that I use for this purpose.

costumeczar Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 1:15am
post #5 of 5

Yeah, they told me that as long as you have the opportunity to talk to the customer directly and answer any questions regarding ingredients, or if you personally deliver the cake and are available to answer ingredient questions at the point of delivery, you don't need labels.

The inspector told me that it's still a good idea to list allergens, so I put a note on the drop-off sheet that I give them that has all the allergens that were used in the kitchen or are in the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%