Put A Satin Ribbon On Bc Cake?

Decorating By melakurtz Updated 4 Mar 2009 , 5:56pm by __Jamie__

melakurtz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melakurtz Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 2:22pm
post #1 of 9

Is it possible to use real ribbon, as opposed to fondant as a border on a cake? How do I stop the grease in the frosting from bleading through?

8 replies
Gale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gale Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 2:34pm
post #2 of 9

I do this all the time. I have had the best luck with adding double sided tape and wax paper to the back. Just trim to the paper after you stick the ribbon to it. It doesn't take long at all and works great.

rnp3603 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rnp3603 Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 2:34pm
post #3 of 9

Yes, you can. Apply wax to what will be the back of the ribbon by ironing it with a sheet of wax paper, making sure not to get the wax on the iron, of course. Shoot, that reminds me I forgot to buy wax paper!

mullett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mullett Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 2:40pm
post #4 of 9

I use wide clear packing tape to back my ribbon. This keeps the oil from wicking thru to the ribbon. I just trim off the tape with a rotary cutter and place it around the cake.

Rendee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rendee Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 2:50pm
post #5 of 9

how do you iron wax paper on the ribbon without getting wax on it?? Do you lay something over the wax paper before you iron it?? icon_confused.gif

rnp3603 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rnp3603 Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 2:52pm
post #6 of 9

exactly!

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 3:06pm
post #7 of 9

I haven't done this, but will probably be trying it in the next month or so. I'm sure you cut the wax paper to the exact size (or a tiny bit smaller) of the ribbon, put the ribbon on top and iron the ribbon. You wouldn't want to iron the wax paper.

melakurtz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melakurtz Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 5:47pm
post #8 of 9

thank you all so much!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 5:56pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullett

I use wide clear packing tape to back my ribbon. This keeps the oil from wicking thru to the ribbon. I just trim off the tape with a rotary cutter and place it around the cake.

Yes, this way, or contact paper......either method, so much easier, and the ribbon keeps a nice taut look, no sagging, no bunching....very neat.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%