Red Velvet Cake - Help!

Decorating By Mildred1971 Updated 12 Feb 2009 , 3:09pm by Mildred1971

Mildred1971 Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 1:57pm
post #1 of 5

Good Morning all!

I am making a red velvet cake tonight and it's my first paid cake for her valentines day dinner on saturday...I bought a 12 x2" pan (only 1), I thought buying two may be too much. So I am thinking of course to tort and filling nice and high with cream cheese frosting in the middle to give it height. If that's not a good idea, I have two 10" pans that I normally use.

My second question is can I color cream cheese frosting?

And last but not least, how much should I charge for the heart shaped cake or the 10" (stacked) cake?

Please any replies would be greatly appreciated, I am making this cake as soon as I get off of work...

Thanks
Mildred

4 replies
MissRobin Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 2:06pm
post #2 of 5

I would bake 2 of the 12" or 2 of the 10", you really aren't going to get the height with 1 layer even if you torte. If you don't want to do that, you could collar your pan and fill it with more batter that usual and you will get a taller layer. Collaring can be done with parchment paper around the sides of the pan, so they stick up an inch or so higher than the actual pan. You definitely can color your Cream cheese icing with no problem, just be sure and use gel color.

lchristi27 Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 2:07pm
post #3 of 5

Hi Mildred,
I'm not much help with the pan or pricing part.

Yes, you can color the cream cheese frosting! Have you tried the crusting recipe on here? It's delicious!

adonisthegreek1 Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 2:16pm
post #4 of 5

Here's a red velvet cake recipe with cream cheese frosting recipe. I get rave reviews with this recipe. It uses two 9" rounds. You definitely don't want to use only one layer and torte it.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/sara-moulton/southern-red-velvet-cake-recipe/index.html

Mildred1971 Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 3:09pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you so much all...I was also thinking of doing the 12" and then place an 8" on top... I thought that would look cute. I am definitely going to look up the crusting recipe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%