Red Velvet Cake - Help!

Decorating By Mildred1971 Updated 12 Feb 2009 , 5:14pm by Frankyola

Mildred1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mildred1971 Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 1:18pm
post #1 of 4

Good Morning all!

I am making a red velvet cake tonight and it's my first paid cake for her valentines day dinner on saturday...I bought a 12 x2" pan (only 1), I thought buying two may be too much. So I am thinking of course to tort and filling nice and high with cream cheese frosting in the middle to give it height. If that's not a good idea, I have two 10" pans that I normall use.

My second question is can I color cream cheese frosting?

And last but not least, how much should I charge for the heart shaped cake or the 10" (stacked) cake?

Please any replies would be greatly appreciated, I am making this cake as soon as I get off of work...

Thanks
Mildred

3 replies
Katie-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie-Bug Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 5:00pm
post #2 of 4

Hi, I just wanted to let you know that cream cheese icing can be colored. Cream Cheese is what I use on almost everyone of my cakes.

As far as torting an filling, I typically bake two of every cake, so I don't have to tort anything. I'm horrible at it!

The only thing you will want to do is make sure that the cake is good an firm...not sure that's the term I'm looking for. I know some recipes are very fragile.

I use a Red Velvet mix, with a cheesecake pudding added. After it's baked I pour a mixture of boiled milk an sugar over it. Slide it in the freezer, pull an assemble.

Good Luck, Katie

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 5:08pm
post #3 of 4

Mildred....don't know if I'd fill a 2" torted cake "nice and high"....especially with cream cheese icing. I torted a 12"x2" heart cake, and the layers are THIN. I only wanted a thin cake though. If you want some height, I would recommend baking 2 cakes. My opinion though........Deb

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 5:14pm
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaigle

Mildred....don't know if I'd fill a 2" torted cake "nice and high"....especially with cream cheese icing. I torted a 12"x2" heart cake, and the layers are THIN. I only wanted a thin cake though. If you want some height, I would recommend baking 2 cakes. My opinion though........Deb

Ditto what ddaigle said thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%