Bride Wants Cake With No Filling...

Decorating By Iloveweddings Updated 13 Feb 2009 , 5:51pm by Auryn

Iloveweddings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iloveweddings Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 9:53am
post #1 of 9

I have never had a bride request no filling. How do you get the two cakes
to stay together? You know, 2 cakes two inches high. Thanks in advance.

8 replies
cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 10:10am
post #2 of 9

The bride is probably thinking of something like a strawberry filling but put buttercream in between the layers of the cake. HTH

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 10:10am
post #3 of 9

In my business, a cake with no filling means it has just icing between the layers....no "filling" means no fruit or other fillings.

Maybe that's what she means?

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 12:10pm
post #4 of 9

I would make sure that you double check with her about the icing between the layers.
I hate buttercream and would be very upset if you put it in there without asking.

Maybe she is assuming you can bake a 4" tall cake and really doesn't want any filling in there.
When I bake regular cake in a spring form pan it comes out 4" tall

CakesByJen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByJen2 Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 1:02pm
post #5 of 9

I agree that you need to clarify exactly what she means by "No filling", whether she means no "fancy" fillings,just BC, or really no filling at all. If it were me, I would tell her it just isn't possible to really use no filling whatsoever. I know it's probably possible, but not without having to buy different pans and spend time testing and modifying recipes and baking times and temps, and I wouldn't be willing to go to that trouble. I only have 2" pans, so all my tiers are two 2" layers. I would tell her that you must have something to "glue" the layers together, but that I could used the thinnest layer of BC possible.[/i]

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 1:22pm
post #6 of 9

It's probably just the terminology. I've had brides say they don't want filling and I tell them, "Darlin' we have to have something between the cakes to hold them together...." It then comes out that they want just regular icing ... no raspberry, no lemon "filling". So I've changed part of my presentation to explain this and avoid the confusion.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 1:28pm
post #7 of 9

Oh wouldn't that just be perfect. A cake right out of the pan, 4" tall, ready to ice....talk about not ever having to level filling and line up the layers!

MBHazel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBHazel Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 1:49pm
post #8 of 9

I use a pound cake for most of my cakes, 4 inches tall.. right out of the pan. Stays fresher longer, no worries about slipping, no surprise icing bulges. I also do a carrot cake that way. You do need to use a heat core for them.

Hazel

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 5:51pm
post #9 of 9

i have no problems making 4" tall cakes, especially if I'm using a bought mix as a base.
truth be told I never even knew about 2" pans until I came here to CC.

I just use regular spring form pans

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%