Is It Worth Joining A Cake Decorators Guild?

Decorating By miscue Updated 13 Feb 2009 , 12:28am by indydebi

miscue Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 6:45am
post #1 of 4

A friend of mine suggested to join the cake decorators guild of NSW (Australia).
Does anyone think its worth it? I think they do things like meet every week, to work on cakes, and get ideas from each other. I also get the impression from the website that it's quite a lot of oldies.... not that there's anything wrong with that, but you know... icon_smile.gif
I'm starting out, and need as much practice as possible.
Any advice?

3 replies
Cakechick123 Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 6:54am
post #2 of 4

I belong to the South African Guild (SACDG). It amazing the amount I've learnt from the older ladies in our branch. And now they are learning from me, as Im more up to date wuith newer techniques thanlks to CC!

We meet once a month, and then we get someone to demonstrate something. There is always something to learn and also having that support base is excellent. The other day I helped out someone that was sick to complete a cake for her granddaughter and I know if Im stuck or sick there will be always someone to help me out!

miscue Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 9:10pm
post #3 of 4

I gave the guild a call to find out a little more. I think I'll join. The only thing is - they only meet every 2 months! It's not very often. But I guess it's better than never.
Thanks for the info riana.

indydebi Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 12:28am
post #4 of 4

I think it's always good to be able to share ideas and techniques wiht others who are as passionate about something as you are ... especially when the people I'm hanging out with are WAY smarter and more talented than me! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%