Personal Question

Lounge By tjrobin31 Updated 20 Feb 2009 , 7:25am by sweetness_221

tjrobin31 Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 6:30am
post #1 of 5

after my second pregnancy i had my tubes tied,
i was just wondering if anyone new the odds of getting pregnant after
having the surgery, i'm sure my doctor explained this to me at the time ,
but everything is sorta of blurry, my son spent some time in the neo natal unit and i just wasn't paying attention to much else.
so if anyone has any info i'd greatly appreciate it.
i've searched on the web, some sites say it's possible but, not likely
others say something else.
thanx alot..

4 replies
Cakechick123 Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 7:00am
post #2 of 5

I think it depends on how they did it. My mother had her tubes tied years ago, and 5 yrs after my brother she had a lil suprise icon_smile.gif

When I chatted to my OBGYN, he says that he actually cut the tubes and then stich them. His words were.... "if theres another baby, just drop it off on my doorstep" icon_smile.gif, so Im pretty confident that its not going to happen

JaimeAnn Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 9:42am
post #3 of 5

I agree with riana, It really depends on how your procedure was done.

I had mine done 6 years ago when my daughter turned 15 , I figured once she was that old I damn sure wasn't starting over! I didn't feel like potty training one while teaching the other to drive. My doc cut then cauterized (burned) mine he said that was the most fool proof because of the amount of scarring to the tubes , no stitches to come undone and no way for the tubes to grow back together!

Do you know how yours was done?

cakes22 Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 7:09pm
post #4 of 5

I had mine done 5 years ago & mine were cut & clipped. I was told that the chances of another pregnancy were the same as a snowballs chance in h***. If your tubes were just clipped, then there is a slim chance it could happen, as this is the way OBGYN's will do the procedure if the woman is 1) young enough to have more children 2) unsure of her decision (but they shouldn't do it in the first place if they are unsure).
hth icon_rolleyes.gif

sweetness_221 Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 7:25am
post #5 of 5

I had mine done 3 years ago when I had my last child due to health reasons. I have had pre-eclampsia with all 3 of my children and my dr didn't want me having anymore. That's ok because I was done after 3 kids anyways. When I signed the papers for the tubal it said on there that there's a 3-5% chance that you can get pregnant again. I think I read that your chances of getting pregnant go up after 10 years? It's been a while so I could be wrong. I personally don't remember what type of procedure was done on me because my anesthesia only took half-way. (I was a little distracted) Let me tell you it's great when they are doing a c-section on you and you are only half numb. They tried 3 times to up my epidural and it would not take. I guess I have a high tolerance for pain because I just told them to hurry up. They gave me some IV meds to take the edge off, but I didn't want to go under completely. I wanted to make sure my daughter was ok. I know I'm probably stupid, but it was much better after the delivery when they gave me the "good drugs". It was funny though because my DH who was in the delivery room with me was standing up looking over the sheet to see what they were doing. He said "Dang they're taking like 2 inches off each tube!" For some reason he was very excited about that. icon_confused.gif Maybe he was just excited he wasn't going to have anymore children. icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%