'indian' Flavor For Cake

Baking By feverfixer Updated 12 Feb 2009 , 5:17am by redpanda

feverfixer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
feverfixer Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 3:31am
post #1 of 5

I am making a cake shaped like a map of India for an orphanage fundraiser. The host asked for a flavor that reflects India. When I think of India, I think of yummy curry, spices and naan, but not cake! Any suggestions as to a palatable flavor that would be appropriate??

How about coconut, mango, tea, or nuts? Anyone have some good recipes or ideas?

Help! This is due next weekend...
Diane

4 replies
sheeza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheeza Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 4:02am
post #2 of 5

most of traditional indian sweets would be garnished with nuts like pistachios and/or almonds.
there is kulfi which is like icecream flavoured with almonds and saffron and pistachios. losts of other sweets incorporate these as well .

so an almond cake with pistachio filling and icing or a pistachio cake with almond flavored filling and icing could be a good idea.

also what comes to my mind is mangoes. i love mangoes and they have the tastiest sweetest juiciest mangoes in that region.
so may be a mango mousse with a vanilla cake with a hint of Cinnamon.

hope this helps

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 4:13am
post #3 of 5

When I think of India, I think of spices. How about an aromatic spice cake made with cardamom, star anise, mace or nutmeg, cinnamom, ginger, lemon zest, pistachios and rosewater? For icing, mango buttercream.

feverfixer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
feverfixer Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 4:42am
post #4 of 5

Thanks! Pistachio was the flavor I was trying to think of! Has anyone tried pistachio cake or have any ideas what fillings would work? Mango mousse sounds good too, but I've never worked with mango. Any recipes?

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 5:17am
post #5 of 5

What about spicy vanilla chai filling? Would that work with the pistachio? (I don't know because I'm allergic to nuts.)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%