Chocolate Ganache I Recipe

Decorating By Redlotusninjagrl Updated 13 Feb 2009 , 6:00am by KoryAK

Redlotusninjagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Redlotusninjagrl Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 1:18am
post #1 of 13

For anyone who has made this recipe, I was looking it over and saw that it lists 1 oz sugar as part of the ingredients. Is that supposed to be weight or fluid ounces, like 1/8 cup of sugar? Also, it doesn't say powdered or granulated sugar. Any idea which? Or if you don't know, do you have a tried and true recipe? I have read up and see that most recipes call for chocolate chips and cream. I would like to try working with it some. What kind of cream? Heavy or light? I am full of questions and in awe of the knowledge that you guys have! TIA!

12 replies
saramachen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saramachen Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 3:01am
post #2 of 13

I use this recipe... i use merkens and whipping cream and measure out 1 oz of granulated sugar on my kitchen scale. Really yummy and when it cools it is great to pipe with and i add it to buttercream to make the best chocolate buttercream.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 6:18am
post #3 of 13

Generally, if a recipe doesn't specify, dry ingredients (like sugar) ounces will mean weight. And "sugar" means granulated sugar.

Redlotusninjagrl Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 8:18pm
post #4 of 13

Thanks for the clarification! Outside of buttercream frosting, I have never tried a recipe where sugar, flour, or any other dry ingredient was measure in weight and not by standard fluid ounces (cups). And I certainly wouldn't have considered granulated sugar for something that is supposed to be smooth. I would have thout that would make the ganche grainy. I am sooo glad I asked otherwise I may have ruined some excellent chocolate by adding 1/8 cup powdered sugar!!!!

KoryAK Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 9:56pm
post #5 of 13

(Boil the sugar with the cream)

Redlotusninjagrl Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 3:32am
post #6 of 13

Yeah I read the recipe and that is why I asked the questions. No need to be condescending.

kkitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkitchen Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 3:45am
post #7 of 13

Where can I find this recipe please?

Thanks

KoryAK Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 4:13am
post #8 of 13

Excuse me? I wasn't trying to be condescending at all. I was just thinking that sugar MAY be gritty if you just add it to the chocolate bowl without letting it melt into the cream on the stove. Thought maybe that's what you were thinking of and was trying to help you avert a problem. I wouldn't have taken the time to answer you if I just felt like being a b***h.

Redlotusninjagrl Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 5:09am
post #9 of 13

I would appreciate your response more if it didn't come across as condescending. I did read the recipe, which in fact does say to put the sugar in with the cream. I had questions and I do appreciate you answering. Putting your response in parenthesis is what made that response seem condescending to me. But whatever. Thanks for your help.

Redlotusninjagrl Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 5:12am
post #10 of 13

TrinaR - At the top left next to "forums" there is a tab called "recipes". Click on that. I did a search to find "ganache". This recipe was the highest rated one on this site for plain chocolate ganache. I believe that this is the only one that I came across on my journey for the best recipe that has sugar added. Almost all of the recipes I have seen were strictly cream and chocolate with butter thrown in to make it shiny. I am planning to make some this weekend just to try it. Mmmmmmm!

kkitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkitchen Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 5:21am
post #11 of 13

Thank you so much Redlotus ..... I will try it.
And not to get involved - but, internet is not the best means of communication. We all type with no expression.... so the way we read things may not be the way they are intended. I am just saying so that we do not allow ourselves to justify and assume.
Redlotus, thanks a lot. Please let me know how it turns out.

Thanks

pugmama1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pugmama1 Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 5:39am
post #12 of 13

I always use heavy whipping cream not whipping cream as per my baker friend's recipe.

KoryAK Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 6:00am
post #13 of 13

And I did not read the recipe as the answers were obvious without it. So I did not know how explicit or not the instructions were. It was just an afterthought that I thought might help. The parenthesis were a sidebar or a whisper.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%