Gold Color

Decorating By Sosochoco Updated 13 Feb 2009 , 5:33am by Sosochoco

Sosochoco Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 1:10am
post #1 of 9

Hi Everyone, I am trying to decorate a cake using fondant and I want to use gold and white. I have not been able to find gold food color in the stores. Pleas does anyone know what colors I can combine to get gold? Thanks

8 replies
nancyg Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 1:35am
post #2 of 9

do you mean gold as in yellow gold or metallic gold? If you want metallic gold you need to use luster dust. You can brush it on dry or paint it on wet with lemon extract or vodka, mix with the dry gold lister dust and paint it on.

If this is not what you mean email me and I will try to help
[email protected]

Sosochoco Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 1:51am
post #3 of 9

thanks Nancyg, I will use this to technique for the fondant number I want to make but how do I get gold color on icing like royal icing or rolled fondant

nancyg Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 2:19am
post #4 of 9

So, is it the metallic color you want???? And where do you want it on the fondat and Royal. If you are doing it on a fondant base coating on a cake you can buy spray cans of gold from Chefrubber.com. for large areas. If it is trim work you would paint with the alcohol, dust mixture with a brush.

Let me know a little more what you want and I will be happy to help
nancyg

Sosochoco Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 3:04am
post #5 of 9

thanks Nancy, that is very helpful for the fondant trimmings and I will use that, in addition I want to make sotas with gold royal icing on white fondant. How do I get the gold color? are there any colors I can mix to get gold? I can't seem to find any gold color commercially

prterrell Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 3:10am
post #6 of 9

Sosochoco, you can paint the gold onto dried royal icing. There is no such thing as metallic gold food color. The closest you can get to "gold" with food color is mixing egg yellow and lemon yellow and maybe a tiny dab of brown, but this is really just going to be a shade of yellow, it will not be metallic at all. The metallic gold only comes in the luster dusts.

Sosochoco Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 4:01am
post #7 of 9

thanks prterrell, thanks nancyg, I appreciate your help. You guys have helped me a great deal! I will post a picture of the completed cake, hopefully it turns out great icon_smile.gif

nancyg Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 4:31am
post #8 of 9

Hey sosochocho,
I went to a class of Nicholas Lodge and he told me if I mix piping gel with an equal amount of gold luster dust and a little vodka or lemon extract to thin to a piping consistency, you could pipe on a gold design. Otherwise the only way I know to do it would be paint on the gold just on the top edges of the royal design. But that would be very difficult considering you would have so much area with the sotas

Try just a small amount of this piping mixture, practice and see if you like it. But I have had very good luck with it

Hope all goes well. Send me some pictures of the cake
[email protected]

Sosochoco Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 5:33am
post #9 of 9

i definitely will Nancyg, thanks for your help icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%