Painting Luster Dust On Chocolate

Decorating By allibopp5 Updated 13 Feb 2009 , 5:29am by Ariginal

allibopp5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allibopp5 Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 12:15am
post #1 of 9

I have made some candy molds to decorate a cake with and need to paint them with silver luster dust...but it just beads up! (mixed with a small amount of vodka). Can someone please tell me how they've done it? In the galleries they all look smooth and uniform...
Thanks!

8 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 3:13am
post #2 of 9

Maybe try brushing it on dry? (Just guessing).

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 5:19am
post #3 of 9

painting on choc dont work so good with luster. but if the whole candy can be silver then just make them with light grey choc and dry dust new silver on. looks great!

bananabread Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bananabread Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 5:32am
post #4 of 9

you use dark chocolate, let it dry completely, and brush with dry color dust.

When you make your chocolates you have to put in the the molds not in the freezer because they get wet.

Ariginal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ariginal Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 6:01am
post #5 of 9

wish i saw this thread yesterday hehe... i too had made white choc shells. I put in fridge to set but when i took them out they immediately got wet as very hmid andhot here at the mo.. anyways i was then unable to dust with lustre's i did dust them with icing sugar first to help soak up some of the moisture this did seem to work but i didnt get the nice lustre shine i was after so i too look forward to any advice you all have... also is there something else we need to add to the chocolate so that it doesnt go so soft in the heat?

thanks in advance

bananabread Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bananabread Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 1:59am
post #6 of 9

you have to temper the chocolate, then will get hard and shiny. And it is better to put as I said not in the freezer because the chocolate get wet, while were you put your milk it dry fast, and will get shiny. You have to wait at least 30 minutos before you dust or put in the bag. Any question I will try to explain because now I have to make chocolates for the 14. Tomorrow I can help you because I will have all the work done.

Ariginal Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 4:10am
post #7 of 9

sorry for my ignorance but what or how do you temper chocolate.. this is all new to me. and i am a little confused by the part where you say:

while were you put your milk in dry fast and will get shiny.

thanks heaps for your tips though will keep eye out for more.

jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 4:20am
post #8 of 9

Do it dry. I have done it a lot to get that silver or metal look and it works fine for me.... about the fridge though you might want to let them come to room temperature first. I usually have hand molded my chocolate things though.

Ariginal Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 5:29am
post #9 of 9

unfortunately here we dont yet have moulding chocolate like what duff uses... on ace of cakes... sooo wish we did hehe... would make life alot easier thats for sure.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%