Caramel Filling?

Decorating By Juds2323 Updated 12 Feb 2010 , 2:02pm by LuvLyrics

Juds2323 Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 12:04am
post #1 of 18

Has anyone done a yellow cake with a caramel filling? Is the combo good? I am working on a cake for my son's gluten-free teacher. One of the things she said she misses is caramel. So I thought about making it as a filling. Do I just cook the caramel to a lower temp to make it more pliable? or do I mix it with buttercream? Help!

TIA

Judi

17 replies
JodieF Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 12:37am
post #2 of 18

I fill with caramel all the time! I do put a thin layer of buttercream though, so the caramel doesn't soak into the cake.

Jodie

Juds2323 Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 12:44am
post #3 of 18

How thick or should I say thin do you make it?

Thanks again.

Judi

JodieF Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 2:07am
post #4 of 18

Well, not runny....you don't want it to pour out when you cut the cake.

Jodie

prterrell Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 2:19am
post #5 of 18

I always have just used the dulce de leche in a jar...haven't tried making my own caramel yet.

sugarshack Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 6:12am
post #6 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

I always have just used the dulce de leche in a jar...haven't tried making my own caramel yet.

does the cake have ot be refigerated if you use the canned stuff?

TexasSugar Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 2:39pm
post #7 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarshack

Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

does the cake have ot be refigerated if you use the canned stuff?

I use the canned version and don't keep the cake in the fridge and haven't had a problem. I look at it like using jar of preserves or a can of pie filling.

Peridot Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 3:14pm
post #8 of 18

Texas Sugar -what is your "canned version"? Cause I do not want to refrigerate so I am interested in what you use.

Prterrell - what is dulce de leche in a jar and where do you find it at the grocery store?

Thanks!

Larkin121 Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 3:29pm
post #9 of 18

Actually, according to what I've looked up, pie fillings and jarred preserves have to be refrigerated after opening... I think you have longer time than with dairy to leave a cake out with fillings like that, but I wouldn't leave it for days. That's just me, maybe.

I make caramel filling... I use a caramel recipe that is the right consistency for caramel apples, then add just a bit more heavy cream to get it just a tad thinner. It should be like the consistency of a Rolo candy.

LuvLyrics Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 3:39pm
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peridot

Texas Sugar -what is your "canned version"? Cause I do not want to refrigerate so I am interested in what you use.

Prterrell - what is dulce de leche in a jar and where do you find it at the grocery store?

Thanks!

It comes in a can like the evaporated milk, Nestle has them..it should be in the same isle as the carnation milk.

Anna

TexasSugar Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 3:43pm
post #11 of 18

Peridot, I buy a can of Dulce de Leche, it is from Nestle's. I find it at Walmart in the Spanish foods aisle. I have also made it from boiling the can of condenced milk, but I like buying it premade so much better.

Larkin, yes if you have an open jar you don't want to leave it out on the cabinet for ever. I've been doing cakes for almost 10 years and have never put a cake with preserves in the fridge. What is the difference in them and the cake fillings they sell? I don't eat a cake after it is 3 or 4 days old, my personal prefernce but the fillings don't go 'bad' being in a cake on the counter.

The jar of preserves sits in the store for months, I can't see how it'd go bad in a day because you opened it and left it out?

I wouldn't suggest leaving dairy or egg based fillings out, but I have never had problem with things that come in cans or jars.

Larkin121 Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 3:50pm
post #12 of 18

Good point, not sure what the difference is from the cake filling kind... unless those have a lot more preservatives. I've just kinda gone by what I read online since I wasn't sure. It seems like they should be fine out, but since the jar says to refrigerate, I wasn't sure what to do with it in a cake. Not an issue for me since I use SMBC and refrigerate my cakes anyway.

But as for the caramel, I refrigerate my left over caramel for sure since mine has quite a bit of cream in it. There is some ratio of sugar to fat that helps preserve stuff but I have no idea if my recipe meets that criteria, so into the fridge it goes.

tesso Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 4:03pm
post #13 of 18

In a pinch, I have used Smuckers carmel topping, the kind that is used on ice cream. It is really thick and If i want to coat, I can just warm it up in the microwave. Usually I make my own carmel. But in a pinch. It's the best.

I live in a rural town where the grocery stores are not the most well stocked or diverse in their products.

leahk Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 4:07pm
post #14 of 18

I think the issue with refridgeration after opening has to do with the fact that the can is vacuum sealed, hence no bacteria can grow since they don't have air. once it's opened there's air in it.

Texas sugar- do you also do a coat of buttercream? I want to use it as a filling for cuppies, and then i can't coat it first.

TexasSugar Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 4:16pm
post #15 of 18

I've never put a layer of buttercream down for any filling I have done.

Peridot Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 4:35pm
post #16 of 18

Thanks Texas Sugar and Luv Lyrics. I am going to get a can of this stuff and use it in a cake that I am doing for my grandson's birthday in a few weeks. It's going to be a chocolate cake. I would not have had any idea of where to find it in the grocery store.

Larkin121 - That is a good idea also - I never thought of that one.

I assume that you use a BC dam with this just like with any type of filling.

leahk Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 4:44pm
post #17 of 18

Thanks TexasSugar!

LuvLyrics Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 2:02pm
post #18 of 18

Peridot, if you really want the Duce de leche but can't find it...you can by condense (not sure the spelin) milk and put in a bain marie and let it simmer, this process takes a long time but that's what dulce de leche is...it al gets thicker as it cooks.

As far as safety is concern with this proudct.....Bacteria doesn't do good with sugar, dulce de leche has a lot of sugar and b/c of the way that is processes it is safe to leave out of the fridge, actually the texture gets really thick in the fridge, and it's not considered a dairy product so you should be worry free. I agree with TexasSugar, I won't eat a cake after 3-4 day either b/c that contains egg.

another thing, don't try to spread it like we do buttercream, instead put it in your piping bag and fill the cake, once the whole cake area is filled that you can smooth it out with a spatulla, I've never used it for frosting though...

HTH..
Anna

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%