Orders Pouring In....help...need Packaging Tips!

Decorating By CareyI Updated 13 Feb 2009 , 11:48am by Monkess

CareyI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CareyI Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 10:47pm
post #1 of 12

My CC family I need your infinite wisdom please!!!!Ok....since the airing of one of my cakes.....just like everyone said.....the orders are coming in. icon_surprised.gif I have only baked for family and friends so I am not sure how to package and deliver my cakes. Does anyone know where to buy boxes big enough for tiered cakes with fondant bows on top and how do I get them where they are going without shifting or collapsing etc. What supplies do I need.

11 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 10:51pm
post #2 of 12

I buy my flat cake boxes bulk from Uline.I just use regular square cube boxes I muster up from the grocery store etc for my tiered cakes.Sometimes Banana boxes,mushroom boxes whatever the product dept wants to give me.I have never had a cake shift or collapse.If it is constructed the right way you shouldn't have any problems.

Beautiful cakes by the way thumbs_up.gificon_wink.gif

Laurel icon_biggrin.gif

cor39 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cor39 Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 11:03pm
post #3 of 12

I just have to say your cakes are beautiful - no wonder the orders are pouring in. Sorry I do not have advice on shipping, but just had to comment on the cakes.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 11:07pm
post #4 of 12

Congrats on the boost in biz! Uline is the best for cardboard boxes and Decopac for the plastic showcake containers and cake boards and drums. icon_smile.gif

2girliesmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2girliesmama Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 11:08pm
post #5 of 12

I have asked this question before and here is what I got. For tiers that you are not going to put together on site, you can use office file type boxes. They are deep and sturdy and have a lid if necessary. I have used the regular wilton boxes (make sure you cake is on a sturdy base for its weight) put the cake in assemble the box and tape the top open as much as needed without touching the cake then you can drape plastic wrap over the open area and tape it to the box. As for the slipping around thing rubber no slip shelf/drawer liner under cakes really helps. DRIVE SLOWLY WIDE TURNS!!! icon_biggrin.gif This works for me. Good luck.

CareyI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CareyI Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 11:22pm
post #6 of 12

Blakescakes had given me the tip of placing your cakes on memory foam too. Are there pads or anything you put inside the boxes also....I thought I had read something about that somewhere.
Thanks for all the tips.....I knew I could count on CCr's to help! thumbs_up.gif

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 11:44pm
post #7 of 12

Congrats on all the new business! Your cakes are beautiful!

ULine is a great resource for boxes.

Below is a pic of how I package up my tiered cakes.

I always drive a dowel down the center of my tiered (or other fragile construction) cakes for extra security. The majority of my cakes are picked up by customers so I have to be sure they are secure.

I always give my customers a piece of non-skid mat to put under their cake.
LL

2girliesmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2girliesmama Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 7:59pm
post #8 of 12

Great pic demonstration. This is exactly how I do mine and it works beautifully. I do not put padding in the box. I do put a rubber mat under the cake in the box and under the box in my car. Doweling is a good idea or SPS or there is a new piece of equipment (forgot name) made of stainless with rods. It is pricey though. Dowel rods are cheap and do fine for me icon_biggrin.gif

bakers2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakers2 Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 8:15pm
post #9 of 12

you can get great boxes at your local UPS store or the u-haul supply place - boxes to fit all sizes of cakes - even 7 tier stacked !- make sure you either re-coup the box or add it into the cost of your cakes - they can add up very fast!

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 8:50pm
post #10 of 12

I use regular large cardboard shipping boxes (uline), but I stand them on their side so I can just slide the cake in. I don't usually put most of my cakes in boxes though... most are delivered just the way they are, because it's just easier.

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 4:30am
post #11 of 12

Congratulations! thumbs_up.gif

What do you mean "the airing of one of your cakes?" Were you on TV?

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 11:48am
post #12 of 12

For tiered cakes, I find the local storage company the cheapest. They sell crate barrel boxes at half the price or less of the UPS store, but in a pinch I have bought from there as well-though-that is expensive.
Keep a few 3ft boxes on hand from the storage place. I close all sides except one and the cake just slides in. Cover the flap and you are all set-looks very professional. Good luck and congratulations!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%