Why Are There Bubbles On Top Of My Butter Cookies?

Baking By The_Sugar_Fairy Updated 18 Feb 2009 , 12:10am by bakinccc

The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 9:06pm
post #1 of 7

I just made a batch of shortbread cookies (Toba Garret's recipe) and when they came out of the oven, there was way too many bubbles on top of them. So I then tried the butter cookie recipe instead (also Toba Garret's); again, too many bubbles on top when they cooled. I didn't want to put on the glaze icing because the bubbles would probably show through. HELP!

6 replies
dailey Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 10:58pm
post #2 of 7

sometimes i get bubbles on my cookies, not really sure why either. i simply press down on them after taking them out of the oven and that fixes the problem.

7yyrt Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 11:21pm
post #3 of 7

Too much kneading, trapping air in the dough?

GeminiRJ Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 6:36pm
post #4 of 7

Flip them over and decorate the "backs". I saw that suggestion from indydebi, and thought it was a great idea!

bobwonderbuns Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 5:57pm
post #5 of 7

The bubbles are caused from the dough not being cold enough when you baked it. The trick to great cookie baking is "make 'em cold, bake 'em hot." I like to cut the cookies out and put on the cookie sheets and refrigerate that overnight. Then pop into a preheated oven (preheat for 30 minutes) and bake as usual. You'll find that the bubbling problem will go away, as will the spreading problems. icon_biggrin.gif

sweetcakes Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 12:00am
post #6 of 7

as soon as they come out of the oven i take a fondant smoother and run it over the tops, this also helps to level them out more.

bakinccc Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 12:10am
post #7 of 7

It's funny that this just happened to me and quickly figured out why......

I have a dough recipe that does not need chilling so I always just mix, roll, cut and bake. And I never have bubble problems. But sometimes I have leftover dough which I put in the fridge or freezer. Well, yesterday I was in a big hurry and didn't let the refrigerated dough thaw all the way so when I was working with it it still was cool. I ended up with little bubbles all over the surface of my baked cookies. I know for me it was because my dough was still too "stiff" from being cold to meld together well when I kneaded it and this created the little air pockets throughout it. Could this have happened to you?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%