Edible Pearls (Size And Color)

Decorating By Heatherly30 Updated 11 Feb 2009 , 11:01pm by cakesbycathy

Heatherly30 Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 7:58pm
post #1 of 6

I visited my local cake store this morning, trying to find edible pearls. They carried them, but they weren't exactly what I expected. The smallest they had were 4 mm, but they seemed pretty large. The pearl color looked more like a dull ivory color. I am looking for small white pearly looking ones. Do they exist?

Since I need them for a cake this weekend, I guess I'll have to improvise. I am using a diamond impression mat on bc and want to put a pearl in each corner. If I pipe a small dot, could I use a small amount of pearl dust on it to give it a pearly look?

Any other ideas?

5 replies
aimers Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 8:06pm
post #2 of 6

The pearls I buy are a little dull and come in a plastic little tub. I place a small amount of luster dust in the tub, place the lid on and give it a shake. I use them for the diamond pattern and they look great. Hope that helps.

cashley Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 8:09pm
post #3 of 6

You can make them yourself doesn't take long. Roll out fondant then cut with a round tip and roll into ball. Put some luster dust in container and shake. You can then make them as small or as big as you want.

icer101 Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 8:11pm
post #4 of 6

i have a friend, that uses tapioca ... there are different sizes in that also.. then she pearlizes them also..hth

brincess_b Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 10:15pm
post #5 of 6

http://www.cakescookiesandcraftsshop.co.uk/acatalog/Non-Pareils.html
like these ones? at least it gives you something to search for, you might get lucky in a big supermarket.
i think the other options sound good too though.
xx

cakesbycathy Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 11:01pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by aimers

The pearls I buy are a little dull and come in a plastic little tub. I place a small amount of luster dust in the tub, place the lid on and give it a shake. I use them for the diamond pattern and they look great. Hope that helps.

This is a great idea! I never would have thought of it. Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%