Am I The Only One Who Cant Make Cake Balls?

Decorating By springlakecake Updated 13 Feb 2009 , 1:36am by AKA_cupcakeshoppe

springlakecake Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 7:39pm
post #1 of 21

So I am trying to make cake balls, and I am not very happy with them. First I feel like they are too mushy...I didnt use very much icing but they are very moist. They roll up great, but I guess I am not a fan of the texture. Is this the way they are supposed to be or no?

also, I see some moisture leaking out of them? It seems oily/greasy? Is this normal? I tried to use tempered chocolate instead of candy melts. Some seem tempered and others not. Arg...it so hard! I am thinking of starting over with another cake I have on had with less icing. I might just use the candy melts instead.

How long do these things last?

please help.

20 replies
butterflyjuju Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 10:18pm
post #2 of 21

Pop them in the oven at 350* for a little while to dry them out before dipping them. I have a problem with dipping them. It doesn't work for me so I just coat them in powdered sugar.

springlakecake Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 10:34pm
post #3 of 21

hmm, that is a good tip.

rocketmom1985 Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 1:05am
post #4 of 21

I, too, am a cake ball failure...*sigh*

Cake ball challenged....*sigh*

I can roll 'em...but can't be consistant in size....*sigh*

I can't dip for *%&%(*....*sigh*

Is it really me or those stupid fake thingys I bought called "Wilton Candy Melts"? I can't for the LIFE of me, figgure out how to get the right cosistancy to dip with this stuff...*sigh*

failure
icon_cry.gif

Ruth0209 Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 1:19am
post #5 of 21

Those Wilton candy melts are worthless for dipping cake balls. If you get anything with moisture in the melted candy melt stuff, it seizes up and you can't re-melt it. It's a major PITA!

I used some of that chocolate stuff you pour over icecream that forms a hard shell and it worked okay, but it's expensive. I froze the cakeballs first.

I'd love to know what chocolate people usually use.

So I guess I'm cake ball impaired, too. I think they're just mushy and gross if you get too much liquid in them, but I did make some really good ones with milk and a little rum instead of icing.

slb1956 Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 1:29am
post #6 of 21

I'm with everyone else..I don't like the mushy consistency either..People rant and rave about them on here..and mine end up gross.

stsapph Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 1:30am
post #7 of 21

Have you tried using Chocolate Bark. You can usually find it with the chocolate chips, is pretty cheap and is made for coating. I just started using the white chocolate bark, and it's so much easier then the melts or trying to temper chocolate. Just a thought!

Amber

m1m Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 1:32am
post #8 of 21

After mixing, I place the whole batch in the freezer in a big bowl; when you take it out the texture is pliable, but not mushy. I use a melon baller to get the size to be consistent each time.

For dipping, I use bark chocolate. After I've dipped them, I store them in the fridge. They kind of remind me of a Ding Dong (the texture).
Have never tried the powdered sugar, but it sounds like a good idea.

Everyone seemed to really like them when I've made them before.

Next time, I'm going to use chocolate cake, chocolate buttercream and add mint extract, then dip it in chocolate so it will taste like the Thin Mint girl scout cookies (hopefully). icon_rolleyes.gifthumbs_up.gif

ebear Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 1:34am
post #9 of 21

Cake balls are a HUGE hit in my house..I freeze them for about 30mins then I melt the candy melts in the microwave and dip them. Usually works out okay for me.

HTH.. icon_smile.gif

Ruth0209 Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 1:36am
post #10 of 21

m1m, those sound delicious. Next time I have chocolate cake leftovers, I'll have to try chocolate mint.

chilz822 Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 1:37am
post #11 of 21

I have great luck with bark. I mainly use Almond Bark (white). It's very forgiving and very inexpensive. I melt a small amount of Crisco with it to thin it up some. It tastes good and it covers really well. I use it for dipping Oreo's, pretzels, strawberries, everything. It's about $2.00 for a large block at WalMart and can be found with the chocolate chips.
Try it!

lauramw71 Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 3:01am
post #12 of 21

I also use almond bark unless I get to Sams and get the Ghiradelli melting chocolate. my family LOVES cake balls. I had to make a few batches before I got it right. I try to make it the consistancy of sugar cookie dough. Not too mushy, but not too dry. My fav is using chocolate cake, and mixing in chocolate syrup and the andes thin mints for baking, then covering in the chocolate bark. They are AMAZING! Don't last long at my house. As much as we love them, I don't make them very often as they are VERY time consuming.
Oh, someone told me here the best thing to use for dipping is to take a plastic fork and break off the middle 2 tongs. Works perfect! Don't give up!

springlakecake Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 12:40pm
post #13 of 21

I guess they are okay. I wiped off the oozing oily substance from the bottom last night and they seem fine. I guess they are okay....I have been trying to teach myself to temper chocolate, sometimes I get it and sometimes I dont. I need lots more practice and a better thermometer I guess.

I do have the ghirardelli chocolate coating which I will probably just use if I make anymore. I guess I am just not sure if they are worth the effort.

thanks for the tips!

mocakes Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 12:59pm
post #14 of 21

It took me three attempts to figure out what worked for me. One, I HATE that almond bark stuff....too thick. I use chocolate chips or white chips and melt a little crisco with it.

Also, the big thing for me was changing the "binder" I used. I used to use icing as the binder and I couldn't stand the mushiness.

So I tried drizzling sweetened condensed milk in the cake crumbs to the right consistency. Love it. I also use caramel topping which works great. You don't need a ton of either to get the right consistency.

I also freeze mine about 20 minutes before dipping and it works like a charm.

vickymacd Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 1:00pm
post #15 of 21

My thought was that maybe you're not using enough cake!
But I also put them in the freezer to firm up first.
I use whatever choc. I have on hand but do add some Crisco shortening to it as well. I also add Oreos crumbled up in them.

I throw all my cake scraps in a baggie (mix the flavors usually) and make them. Sometimes they are marbled or just different flavors.

Personally, my family loves them, I don't. Ha, ha.

costumeczar Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 3:05pm
post #16 of 21

I made them once after reading about how great they were on here. I took one bite and threw them out. Nasty, too sweet, and even my sugar-obsessd kids wouldn't eat them. I'll stick to eating the cake scraps icon_razz.gif

springlakecake Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 5:06pm
post #17 of 21

well I ended up making real truffles instead. I have to say I like them a lot better!

costumeczar Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 6:16pm
post #18 of 21

Ooooooh...Truffles...now I'm hungry!

Cakegirl11 Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 7:48pm
post #19 of 21

Ok cake balls are something I can actually make well. So here is how I do it.

One box of cake takes the amount of icing in one tub from the store. When you mix them up at first, they will be very mushy. When you form them into a ball, pack them tightly. You have to put them in the freezer after you form them. They should be in there for at least 30 minutes. This keeps them from sliding off the toothpick when you dip them.

Now I use almond bark to dip mine. I know it is thick and difficult to work with. You have to use a double boiler or at least a make shift one so that the bark stays hot. You also must keep a good amount in the pan you are using for dipping so that the ball can be covered entirely when you dip it.

When you dip it, you use two tooth picks to manuever the ball around in the bark. Then you put them on wax paper to set. Yummy everytime!

Katie-Bug Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 9:05pm
post #20 of 21

I too stick at making cake balls!! icon_cry.gif Which sticks because I always have left-over cake in my freezer that gets throwed out!!

Mine were to mushy, kept adding cake and adding more. Finally got them rolled out and in the freezer. After I dipped them, don't remeber what I used, they were huge!! One was enough to kill you, they were so sweet and I love sweets!!!

I have some Strawberry Cake in the freezer, I may mix them with a bit of something..and try again. We'll see.... icon_rolleyes.gif

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 1:36am
post #21 of 21

never had a problem with making cake balls. and i just add enough binder to, well, bind so that it's not mushy. i just use whatever chocolate i have, melt it in the microwave with a little bit of vegetable oil and then dip. i also freeze the balls for a period of time, maybe 30 minutes to an hour. this way the chocolate hardens the moment it comes in contact with the cake ball. i've always wanted to try the truffle way of covering it with chocolate which is using latex gloves and kinda rolling it between your palms. it's messy but i wanna try it when i have time and some cake scraps and patience to actually stop myself from eating cake scraps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%