Phoenix Bird (Firebird)

Baking By sweetkake Updated 12 Feb 2009 , 12:25am by SueBuddy

sweetkake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetkake Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 6:17pm
post #1 of 9

Hello everyone. I'm afraid I've bitten off more than I can chew. I need advice on sculpting a Phoenix Bird to make by the weekend. I thought I had this under control. I need it to be 3-D if at all possible. Any tips, ANYONE! Thanks in advance. I don't write much but I enjoy reading the threads. Love to the CAKERS!

8 replies
sweetkake Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 9:46pm
post #2 of 9

Pretty please, anyone!

enoid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enoid Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 9:55pm
post #3 of 9

Sorry I can't help but here is a bump.

rockysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rockysmommy Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 9:57pm
post #4 of 9

Sorry... I can't help either...but here is a bump.

SueBuddy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueBuddy Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 9:59pm
post #5 of 9

I did a 2-D phoenix once, it is in my pics (sorry I don't know how to put the link here) I know it probably wont help since you are doing 3-D. I'm not sure how I would do a phoenix in 3-D mostly because it has a long skinny neck, and I am not Ace of Cakes. My best suggestion would be to look at pictures on the internet of phoenix birds (3-D figures if you can find them) and cake pictures of other kinds of 3-D birds and look for similarities. Maybe you could do the head and neck out of rice krispies, the body of cake and the long tail feathers with fondant? Good Luck!

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 10:01pm
post #6 of 9

Are we talking a generic Phoenix? A stylized one? The logo from the car? The one from Harry Potter? I would take a different approach depending on what they were hoping for...

sweetkake Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 10:10pm
post #7 of 9

I have found a few pictures but the problem is being able to sculpt the wings in flight and still be able to travel to site. I hoping to keep the wings separate from the cake base if at all possible.

sweetkake Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 10:29pm
post #8 of 9

Suebuddy: Thank you for the response. I see you have a "clown " fish in your photos, what did you make the fins with? They seem to be off the board.

SueBuddy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueBuddy Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 12:25am
post #9 of 9

The fins were made out of fondant, I dried them with sticks in them and then poked them into the cake after it was covered with fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%